Charging system issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Mini coopwe S, I installed the Scangauge 2 into the obd 2 port and my voltage while the car is running AT IDLE is at around 12.2 with the a/c on. If I turn all the loads off than I get to about 13.3-13.5 volts. If I turn on ALL the loads than it will get as low as 10.3 volts. When I rev it up with all the loads placed than it will go up to about 12.4-12.6. I don't see any warning lights or any noticeable dimming of the lights on the car. I also put a multi-meter on the battery itself and noticed the same issue.

I have replaced the cooling fan because the low side did not work and the high side was making a weird noise.

But most importantly, I replaced the Alternator with a new Denso unit to replace the Denso unit I had in it.

I also replaced the belt because i think the other one was the original and to make sure it wasnt slipping.

And i took out the 100amp fuse to the power steering pump out to see if the pump is causing a voltage drop.

No dice.

What's going on?

The battery is good. I've done numerous tests on it and it starts the car just fine. The issue is its not charging at idle.

I think it may be my harmonic balancer that's slipping. R53's are known to have [censored] harmonic balancers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back