Paul Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I like the birds version of mr tambourine man better than dylan's version....

Dylan's is actually PAINFUL to listen to.

Originally Posted By: milkboy
Originally Posted By: grampi
I never could figure out how certain artists get away with not being able to sing...a great song sung poorly is not pleasurable to listen to...

Every person you named - "Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, George Thorogood, Joe Cocker" - has a huge following of devoted fans who will tell you that they are great vocal talents in their own unique way.
Being a huge superstar without the vocal ability of a Sinatra or a Pavarotti - or any at all - has been part and parcel to the rock music scene from the very beginning. It simply doesn't matter. Was Bill Haley a great singer ? Or Chuck Berry ?

Chuck Berry was a good singer...and, of course, a very good guitarist!

I never could figure out how certain artists get away with not being able to sing...a great song sung poorly is not pleasurable to listen to...

Every person you named - "Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, George Thorogood, Joe Cocker" - has a huge following of devoted fans who will tell you that they are great vocal talents in their own unique way.
Being a huge superstar without the vocal ability of a Sinatra or a Pavarotti - or any at all - has been part and parcel to the rock music scene from the very beginning. It simply doesn't matter. Was Bill Haley a great singer ? Or Chuck Berry ?

Rock music has had some amazing vocalists...Brad Delp from Boston, Lou Graham from Foreigner, Steve Perry from Journey, the Wilson sisters from Heart, Dennis Deyoung and Tommy Shaw from Styx, and there are many more, but there are bad ones too, like the ones we mentioned earlier...

Rock music has had some amazing vocalists...Brad Delp from Boston, Lou Graham from Foreigner, Steve Perry from Journey, the Wilson sisters from Heart, Dennis Deyoung and Tommy Shaw from Styx, and there are many more, but there are bad ones too, like the ones we mentioned earlier...

That's my point - in rock, it's irrelevant. And to the original point of the thread, there's a huge difference between being a superstar who's not a great singer, and a 75-year-old geezer who just simply can't do it anymore.

That's my point - in rock, it's irrelevant. And to the original point of the thread, there's a huge difference between being a superstar who's not a great singer, and a 75-year-old geezer who just simply can't do it anymore.

Not to me there isn't...I didn't like the guys who couldn't sing when they were young, just like I now don't like to listen to the guys who once were great vocalists, but are no longer...for me, a great song can't make up for a lousy singer...

Tony Bennett is absolutely terrible now, and has been terrible for at least 15 years. He also appears to have some level of dementia. He sings every song exactly the same, from 80 years of sheer repetition. He's become a wind-up money machine that unscrupulous people keep winding up and putting on stage, and it's disgraceful.

Paul Simon was a huge talent and one of the most beloved artists of his generation, but he is also terrible now. If these people don't have the sense to know when to hang it up, the people in their lives who care about them should steer them away from that kind of embarrassment.

You could say it's like a great fighter that's over the hill and comes out one last time hoping to regain the title, only to get beaten and look stupid. Sometimes retiring and staying retired is a good course of action.

There's always royalties and song writing for many of them.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I like the birds version of mr tambourine man better than dylan's version....
And that was over 50 yrs ago. George Thourogood and Joe Cocker have voices for their genre. Geo doesn't sing "Tuneful to the Bone" Joe needs all the friends he get. :what didja do with the money?" what money? "the money your mom gave you for singing lessons"
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Originally Posted By: dlayman
Yes, Trump representing the country certainly wouldn't be embarrassing
confused.gif

Not as embarrassing as the criminal Hillary running it...

I'm not sure that either of them are immune to eventually being labelled as such. But, keep in mind, legitimately neither of us can actually apply that term to either candidate at this point. There are no charges against either one, but there could be against both at some future point. Still innocent until proven guilty in the USA. But man, what a choice. Each of them is facing probably the only candidate from the other party that they could defeat.

Hillary was proven guilty, they just aren't going to charge her...

Oh please dude! Trump is to contractors in Atlantic City as Bill Cosby is to women! Hillary is hardly ethical, but stop the the partisan buggery...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Oh please dude! Trump is to contractors in Atlantic City as Bill Cosby is to women! Hillary is hardly ethical, but stop the the partisan buggery...

Um, I didn't start this, dlayman did...I was just pointing out how ridiculous his statement was...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back