RIP, Sam Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the pleasure of meeting Sam, years ago on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Ever since that first meeting, I always stopped by his pit to see what the latest mods on his Motorcycle Streamliner were. He was one of the true innovators in the sport, and a good man.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Landspeed racer Sam Wheeler

Dang ... unfortunate accident. I still remember when Dave O of the old SH.org lost his life doing high speed runs. Such a nice guy.

Dave Owen (DaveO) was the inspiration for my own bike build. I talked quite a bit with him, to determine if an all-motor NA bike was the direction I wanted to go. He gave me a ton of info. Ultimately I used many of his ideas, with some changes. I had the opportunity to hang with Dave at Speedweek in '08. He was there to advise another Landspeed rider. We made tentative plans for him to attend some races I was working in the future. Little did I know that would be the last time I would talk to him, as the next month he died at Maxton.

RIP, Dave.
118984d1399765494-anybody-race-daveo.jpg

Sam was very skilled in everything he did. I didn't know him as well as I did Dave, but we knew each other from the days of me helping Hank and Dennis, (and others) on the Salt Flats.

Here are some videos of the latest developments made to his bike:

O2SE - DaveO and I exchanged many emails back when he was doing the top end speed runs. I had some pretty detailed Excel spreadsheet models back then that could be used for gearing vs HP vs aerodrag to help maximize top end speeds. Not sure how much of it he used, but I did share all that info with him. RIP DaveO.

Unfortunate that Sam Wheeler lost his life from a crash indecent also. Going to top speed records is living on the edge ... anything could happen.

Your expertise particularly in Aerodynamics, I'm sure helped Dave in his LSR efforts. Most of my discussions with him were about the drivetrain. My goal for my bike was a lot more power throughout the rev-range, and less gyroscopic effect from the engine and wheels. Dave wanted to achieve high peak speeds in a straight line in 1 mile, whereas I wanted to go, stop, and turn with equal ability.

We ran similar displacement, but he used a rotating assembly with some differences, as decreasing the gyroscopic effect of the engine while transitioning side-to-side, wasn't a main concern in his straight-line runs.

There's no question that racing is dangerous. Bill Warner is another who I briefly met at Bonneville years ago. He achieved 311.945 mph in 1.5 miles on his conventional, sit-on, TurboBusa, at Loring. He was trying to achieve 300 mph in one mile. He came close, reaching 296 mph in one mile. But on his next run he crashed.

That's one thing about being involved in a dangerous pastime like racing: The possibility of serious injury or death, is ever present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back