Effectiveness of Car Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and as per my usual rant, even if we give the automakers the benefit of the doubt and say they're making a great headlight when it comes off the showroom floor, I don't see a lot of that effectiveness stretching into the long term. I can give my 30 year old F-150 showroom headlight performance (better in fact) simply by grabbing new halogen sealed beams, that will have no cracks, chips, or sandblasting, and not be burned out, and it'll cost me under $20 and take fifteen minutes of my time.

That would be a pretty neat trick when my G37 is 30 years old. As it is, the headlights are hazy. I don't get to go to Canadian Tire and grab some fresh sealed beams and put them in. I have few options, and none of them are exactly palatable in comparison. I can leave them and say to heck with it (the default choice in society, and the reason why these fancy headlights are, in my view, a failure). I can pay someone else to refurbish them, which will cost more than $20 and take longer than 15 minutes. The same applies if I do the fix myself. I can replace the assemblies, and that will be somewhat time consuming, and ridiculously expensive.

Garak I agree, and even if you do take care of the lenses, they will eventually need replaced, and by that time, OEM service parts may be NLA!!

Which means you are putting on a (junk) Depo made in Taiwan!

I really think that glass for headlamp lenses should return. Since Headlamps can be made more modular than ever, a nice tempered glass lens would be a great solution.

I'd still like the return of sealed beams, but at least the Audi 200 I had, with the glass lenses, didn't have the same issues we see with plastic ones. Its failing was, however, that the painted reflective material inside flaked off, and I had to replaced the assemblies anyhow. If I bought them up here, it would have been ridiculously expensive. OEM ones from the States were less than half price.

german companies don't accept much input from "outside" their world. in my opinion. (We designed it, it is perfect)
will be interesting to see if they accept their car having bad lights (did they not test them, themselves?).

Last edited:
Here is the latest test from IIHS, of small SUV headlights:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/most-small-suv-headlights-rate-poor-in-iihs-evaluations

"... Not a single small SUV out of 21 tested earns a good rating in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's headlight evaluations, and only four are available with acceptable-rated headlights.

Among the 21 vehicles, there are 47 different headlight combinations available. More than two-thirds of them are rated poor, making this group of vehicles even more deficient when it comes to lighting than the midsize cars that were the first to be rated earlier this year…."

"...The best-performing headlights in the small SUV group belong to a new model, the Mazda CX-3, and are available on its Grand Touring trim. They are curve-adaptive LED lights with optional high beam assist. The low beams perform well on both right curves and fairly well on the straightaway and sharp left curve; however, they provide inadequate light on the gradual left curve. The high beams perform well on most approaches.

The other vehicles available with acceptable headlights are the Ford Escape, the Honda CR-V and the Hyundai Tucson. None of the three are curve-adaptive, and only the Escape has high-beam assist. Still, all of them provide fair or good illumination in most scenarios.

The worst headlights among the small SUVs belong to a different Honda — the new-for-2016 HR-V…"

"...Seventeen of the rated SUV headlight combinations have unacceptable glare. They include all types of lights — halogen, HID and LED — and none of the headlight types is more likely than the others to have excessive glare. Three of the 17 fell short of an acceptable rating on the basis of glare alone…"

It works both ways. You want great illumination at a distance but what about the oncoming traffic that are blinded by your great lights? I notice that even the alleged poor lights are blinding at times. Just saying...

Originally Posted By: willbur
It works both ways. You want great illumination at a distance but what about the oncoming traffic that are blinded by your great lights? I notice that even the alleged poor lights are blinding at times. Just saying...

Trade off. The halogens in the 2011 Explorer XLT are some of the worst I've seen. Close to undriveable at night on back roads. I've never been a fan of aftermarket HIDs, until I bought this vehicle. I broke down and installed Diode Dynamics HIDs. Night and day difference. Never get "flashed". No apologies...sorry.

Last edited:
So you're saying your one experience applies to/justifies all the blinding lights out there?

No. I'd didn't address your hypersensitivity to lights at night. Newer technology will continue to generate progressively brighter lights in a broader range of cars.

Originally Posted By: 182RG

Trade off. The halogens in the 2011 Explorer XLT are some of the worst I've seen. Close to undriveable at night on back roads. I've never been a fan of aftermarket HIDs, until I bought this vehicle. I broke down and installed Diode Dynamics HIDs. Night and day difference. Never get "flashed". No apologies...sorry.

Did you have factory projectors? If so, that's likely the reason you haven't been flashed, since they at least have a defined cut-off.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Did you have factory projectors? If so, that's likely the reason you haven't been flashed, since they at least have a defined cut-off.

Correct. Although, the cutoff is pretty crude, but effective at preventing blinding oncoming traffic.

The cornering, leveling bi-xenon headlights on my Touareg TDI are 100X better.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'd still like the return of sealed beams, but at least the Audi 200 I had, with the glass lenses, didn't have the same issues we see with plastic ones. Its failing was, however, that the painted reflective material inside flaked off, and I had to replaced the assemblies anyhow. If I bought them up here, it would have been ridiculously expensive. OEM ones from the States were less than half price.
I have to agree, at least with the sealed beams, you get a whole brand new housing, reflector and bulb all in one, all for way less than housings are today.

Originally Posted By: 182RG
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Correct. Although, the cutoff is pretty crude, but effective at preventing blinding oncoming traffic.

The cornering, leveling bi-xenon headlights on my Touareg TDI are 100X better.

Yes, enclosures built for HID are a lot better. The biggest nuisance are HID's in reflector housings, which are the big blinders on the road. I have far less of an issue with HID retrofits in halogen projectors which, while not ideal (or legal) at least have a cutoff which prevents the "searchlight in your face" effect of them in halogen reflectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back