Acceptable coolant for newer Dodge/Chrysler produc

Status
Not open for further replies.
moms van is a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan, and I plan to do 3-year coolant drain & fills on it. I can't seem to find an aftermarket replacement for it yet. Apparently they switched from the HOAT's (G-05 mainly) to a new OAT formula, but it doesn't appear anybody but Mopar is reselling it yet?

The new 10 year, 150,000 mile Mopar OAT coolant has come down in price a bit. The concentrate is now $26 at numerous places. Some are lower ($18), but their shipping brings it back up. I found a local dealer selling it for $25.

New part no.: 68163848AB (used to be AA)

This site is selling it for $20.24 delivered. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Coolant-Antifreeze-MOPAR-68163848AB-/151986985789

If you go to another brand, I would do a 100% flush to avoid any chemistry incompatibility. Doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

Originally Posted By: KenO
moms van is a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan, and I plan to do 3-year coolant drain & fills on it. I can't seem to find an aftermarket replacement for it yet. Apparently they switched from the HOAT's (G-05 mainly) to a new OAT formula, but it doesn't appear anybody but Mopar is reselling it yet?

I haven't seen it yet either, and the dealer prices for it are high. It is good for 10 years or 150K miles, according to my 2016 Wrangler Owners Manual. So you can consider stretching the interval out a bit longer if she doesn't have 150K miles on it yet.

My Ram developed a pin hole leak within the bottom Radiator hose at the 1200 mile mark. Had to Replace hose plus replace 3/4 of the purple coolant.

Did 2-3 hours worth of research-->Due to local dealer wanted $46 for a gallon of coolant. Not Happening! Found that Peak Global Lifetime is all most the exact chemistry. Did a minor flush with distilled water of just the radiator and holding tank. Walgreens had PGL for $11 gallon.

Replaced bottom hose and poured in PGL w/RMI-25 and have not had an issue-->Nor did I expect any.
It is another option for the purple mopar coolant.

.... Apparently they switched from the HOAT's (G-05 mainly) to a new OAT formula, but it doesn't appear anybody but Mopar is reselling it yet?

I'd say that's accurate. Seems a proprietary no-2eha OAT formula, as written about in the link. http://articles.sae.org/11284/

One aftermarket option as mentioned, also a no-2eha Long Life OAT formula is Peak Global Lifetime.

But, if wanting the Mopar LL OAT only, at this time seems it will have to be Mopar.

Interesting, thanks everybody. I guess I'll get it from the dealer then. And FWIW, it has ~26k miles on it. I plan to do 3-year drain and fills. I don't care if I could extend it - I'm not. $25 every 3 years is peace of mind for me. Also going to flush the brake fluid. Applying an old German car maintenance schedule to this Chrysler POS hoping to get it to 250k without much trouble.

Amazon has genuine mopar G-48.

Mopar 10 Year/150,000 Mile Coolant Concentrate by Mopar

$28.25 Prime

I'll be buying 2 gallons of this.

Recent repairs caused my favorite independent shop to fill my 2013 Dodge GC with AMAM.
mad.gif

Now I'll have to flush it. I wish he had called me.
confused2.gif

3 years is way too early to drain that coolant, it's a waste of perfectly good fluids.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
3 years is way too early to drain that coolant, it's a waste of perfectly good fluids.

I'm perfectly OK with that. I'd rather drain it often than have early water pump or gasket or other cooling system issues.

I'm perfectly OK with that. I'd rather drain it often than have early water pump or gasket or other cooling system issues.

Why do you think you'll have cooling system issues if you follow the manufacturer's recommendations? Just a belief you have?

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Why do you think you'll have cooling system issues if you follow the manufacturer's recommendations? Just a belief you have?

Manufacturers recommendations aren't always for the consumers best interests. They're more often for the manufacturers best interests. I'm a mechanic that owns my own shop - 95% of the cooling system repairs that I do are due to lack of maintenance. Degraded hoses aren't really a big thing anymore. Degraded water pumps, thermostats, head gasket or other gasket failures, radiators, stupid quick connect fittings on hoses now that only use an o-ring to seal (which are 1-time use - they leak far too often when re-installed for a reputable shop like mine to risk our reputation on reusing those things). A simple coolant flush keeps the pH in check, electrolysis in check, and anti-wear/seal conditioners in the coolant fresh.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Manufacturers recommendations aren't always for the consumers best interests. They're more often for the manufacturers best interests. I'm a mechanic that owns my own shop - 95% of the cooling system repairs that I do are due to lack of maintenance. Degraded hoses aren't really a big thing anymore. Degraded water pumps, thermostats, head gasket or other gasket failures, radiators, stupid quick connect fittings on hoses now that only use an o-ring to seal (which are 1-time use - they leak far too often when re-installed for a reputable shop like mine to risk our reputation on reusing those things). A simple coolant flush keeps the pH in check, electrolysis in check, and anti-wear/seal conditioners in the coolant fresh.

That all depends. If the coolant in use has an additive package that depletes over time (silicates, phosphates, nitrite all fall into that category so G-05 and the so-called "Asian-formula" coolants are affected), then yes changing coolant refreshes depleted additives. Changing coolant more often doesn't really hurt... probably. I say probably because changing coolant DOES introduce fresh dissolved oxygen, which tends to gradually get driven out of coolant as it ages and goes through temperature-cycles. If nothing else, it gets consumed by oxidizing engine parts, and so long as fresh oxygenated water or coolant isn't introduced, the dissolved oxygen level stays low.

With pure OAT coolants, there is no depletion over time, so changing coolant early can really ONLY serve as a way to potentially introduce fresh oxygen into the system. So I'd argue against changing OAT coolants prematurely.

I have yet to see a true compatible aftermarket mix OAT fluid for the FCA stuff. Some will claim they are suitable replacement fluids but the caveat is that you have to do a complete drain/flush and then 100% refill with the replacement but once again, they still are not mixable with the factory OAT stuff.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I have yet to see a true compatible aftermarket mix OAT fluid for the FCA stuff. Some will claim they are suitable replacement fluids but the caveat is that you have to do a complete drain/flush and then 100% refill with the replacement but once again, they still are not mixable with the factory OAT stuff.

Take this with a grain (OK, a whole BRICK) of salt... but if true then there are a couple of interesting "reveals" in here. One, that Mopar OAT is very close to DexCool if not identical, and two (the big one) that DexCool no longer uses 2EHA. That would certainly explain why all the DexCool problems vanished.

I'm just not sure its credible, though, since its one of those "this is what a Zerex guy told me" type posts:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/mopar-oat-dexcool-believe-it-or-not-238028.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back