retrograding starches - better way of eating carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife gets upset stomach if she eats rice with dinner, and has bene looking at probiotics and the like...just to have a little rice with a curry etc.

Always have we known the flora benefits of things like Jerusalem artichokes etc., and get them when we can find them, but came across the following about "retrograding" starches.

Some starchy foods, e.g. white rice, potatoes (and pasta) etc. when cooled after being cooked undergo a type of polymerisation that "retrogrades" the starches.

The polymerised starches become unavailable for absorption, but make a great fodder for the good bugs in the large intestine.

Calorific absorption, depending on the starch can be reduced from 10-50% over a fresh cooked state. And for some of my friends the insulin hit from mashed potatoes appears that it can be significantly reduced by cooling the potatoes and rewarming them tomorrow.

examples that appear (only 24 hours into learning on this one) to be better ways of using them...
* left over lasagna...probably less caloric intake from it reheating it tomorrow.
* fried rice, cook rice and refrigerate overnight before frying.
* boil potatoes and refrigerate...mash and reheat tomorrow.
* canned corn better than on the cob

Anyway, some links...

http://freetheanimal.com/2014/10/reheating-digestive-resistance.html
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/food-diet/47475-mashed-potatoes/
http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-discover-a-new-way-to-cook-rice-that-could-halve-the-calories

Hmm. So if you can't digest the starches, then basically you're feeding gut bacteria more ... then wouldn't this be like giving lactose to a lactose-intolerant person? F-a-r-t city?

For the last 20 or so years i get a feeling like a heart attack or more like palpatations if i either don't eat or eat too much it is totally miserable and its just about all the time. Been through all the tests as my best friend is a Doctor.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
What about whole wheat rice?

Um... what?

Maybe whole wheat Orzo?

I eat a lot of potato and rice salads in summer, I didn't know I was making changes other than hot or cold.

While I had the stove going last night, absorption cooked some rice, also threw a cob of corn (husk and all...including the silk) in the microwave.

Let both cool down slowly to room temp (corn cob is like napalm for a half hour).

Used them to make fried rice (brown onion, coconut oil, toasted sesame oil, the rice, the corn kernals, and soy)

to have with a stirfry.

An hour later, better half is still happy with no discomfort at all.

hmmm...

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
interesting topic.
what about mcdonalds french fries left under the car seat for 4 month?

You need a small dog to get those!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
interesting topic.
what about mcdonalds french fries left under the car seat for 4 month?

You need a small dog to get those!

Or a small child.
crackmeup2.gif

Been messing with this since posting.

per Silk's mention of potato salad, you can see the process in that the cooked potato is flimsy, but once cooled, the starches modify and it firms up.

Making mashed potato with the cooled and reheated potatoes is a less than perfect result due to this firmness.

Cooking and cooling pasta and rices, then cooking briefly at meal time is entirely satisfactory (fried rice is way better than using fresh cooked rice).

Alton Brown on the idjit box was making bread pudding, and explained that the staling process is exactly this in action, and that due to the addition of enzymes these days bread doesn't undergo the retrogradation process like it used to.

Bingo moment for me, as I clearly remember "stale" bread as a kid, which had gone to the point of cracker crispness in a couple of days (and made great toast), versus modern bread that dries out a bit, but never gets that effect.

Originally Posted By: Skid
My guess is that unless you're experiencing a lot of flatulence with this, then prolly a significant % of the starches are not retrograding.

I'd say that it depends on what your gut bacteria etc. are used to eating.

Wife notices a serious reduction in feeling bloated, which is probably opposite of your premise.

this is sad/funny...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-alcoholic.html

You can greatly reduce the amount of starch in both rice & potatoes Shannow, by rinsing them well, even multiple times, before cooking.

I've been doing this lately with rice and it's rather amazing how fluffy it turns out. No more goo. Dump it into a strainer or fine-mesh collander or into a large bowl cover with water, and stir with your fingers, then dump into the collander, dump the milky water, the rinse the rice again until you see no more milky rinse water.

Potatoes can be done the same before frying.

Hope this suggestion helps Mrs. Shannow! G'day.

A workmate was diagnosed with diabetes in the last few weeks, and being a Controls and Systems engineer, is rigorous in his experimentation on what makes HIS particular condition tick.

We've been epxerimenting with retrograding his starches and testing glucose response.

It really works...same pasta meal two nights running, reheating the cooked pasta gives only a fraction of the glucose hit the second day.

Same with rice, a shallower, longer running glucose response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back