HD radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking at buying a new stereo/head system for my car. In addition to all the other options I can get, the radio I like can be had with HD radio for an additional $30. Is it worth it?

That depends, is anyone in your area broadcasting in HD radio?

Looks like for Clermont, it shows 4 channels, all from WYMZ, which appears to be a religious station. They describe the 4 as:
Religious- safe for little ears
Hip-hop/urban- Christian hip-hop
Religious- Gospel
Rock- Christian Rock

http://hdradio.com/stations

If there is content in your area you want then its worth it. Otherwise if you look under the surface HD radio isn't exactly what the name suggests it is.

IMO Spend the dough on a media player and put your music collection on there to listen whenever you want.

If you listen to the radio at all, I think it would be worth it. I put in a head unit with HD radio in my old car and was surprised how much better the sound quality was when it switched to HD.

For $30, why not? In my area, NPR's FM affiliate plays different programming than their AM affiliate and sometimes I have trouble receiving AM. They also have an HD radio version of their AM programming so that would be beneficial.

Does HD radio reception go farther distance than the analog one? I looked at the spectrum and the signal strength. It seems as if HD signal will drop out earlier than the analog one. Can somebody confirm that?

Which specific radio are you looking at? Pioneer or Kenwood? I would like to find an equivalent radio made by JVC as it allows up to 10 BT devices to pair with the radio and allows 2 simultaneous active connections. Pioneer or Kenwood limit pairing to 3 devices max.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Does HD radio reception go farther distance than the analog one? I looked at the specturm and the singal strength. It seems as if HD signal will drop out earlier than the analog one. Can somebody confirm that?

You are correct. It flakes out first. It gets 1/100th of the broadcast power of analog radio.

It's still a neat gadget. Sometimes you get data (like song/artist) on the headunit... though they can pipe that through on analog as well if motivated.

Also pricing wise, I found out that I can get HD for extra $20 but I give up CD capability. To get a receiver with CD+HD and all the other feature that I want, the price jumps by over $50. I still have lots of audio CDs so I prefer not to have to give up that feature.

Does HD radio reception go farther distance than the analog one? I looked at the spectrum and the signal strength. It seems as if HD signal will drop out earlier than the analog one. Can somebody confirm that?

Which specific radio are you looking at? Pioneer or Kenwood? I would like to find an equivalent radio made by JVC as it allows up to 10 BT devices to pair with the radio and allows 2 simultaneous active connections. Pioneer or Kenwood limit pairing to 3 devices max.

I am looking at the Pioneer x7800BHS (150) with HD radio vs the X6800BHS (120) non HD at Crutchfield. I like the radios because of the separate preset buttons.

Only useful if there are stations you care to listen to where you will be using it. Plenty of stations here in the Twin Cities, very few when I hit the rest of the state.

The HD signal always flakes out first.

And whether it is of better quality or not is also a bit debateable, kind of like all digital music.

Also pricing wise, I found out that I can get HD for extra $20 but I give up CD capability. To get a receiver with CD+HD and all the other feature that I want, the price jumps by over $50. I still have lots of audio CDs so I prefer not to have to give up that feature.

No way would I bring CDs any more... I'd rip all my music in a high quality lossless and a lower quality version (if necessary), and play via phone/USB stick/mini player.

As for HD radio, it's a little gimmicky. For the most part it sounds better, but some stations seem to boost the treble so it's more tinny. It can also cut in and out, which is annoying.

I put an Alpine w/HD and CD in my pickup and have enjoyed the additional programming.
In addition, several stations that I enjoy in my area are simulcast in HD, which yields better reception in my case.
However, it was $99. on sale at the time at Crutchfield.
If you can pick up an HD unit at a reasonable cost, it is a worthwhile feature.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I put an Alpine w/HD and CD in my pickup and have enjoyed the additional programming.
In addition, several stations that I enjoy in my area are simulcast in HD, which yields better reception in my case.

Its $150 for HD vs $120 for non HD as previously stated.

I probably wouldn't use it...between satellite radio, and all the tunes I have on my Iphone, I just don't listen any free radio...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Rather be able to use my CDs...

I'd keep the cd's home, and put their content on a usb stick or sd for use in the car.

Originally Posted By: 007
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Its $150 for HD vs $120 for non HD as previously stated.

I don't think of $30 as being unreasonable.
However, that is probably a determination that you have to make for yourself.
In my case, it was a no brainer. One w/o HD would have cost the same if not more money.
I like HD radio. I can pick up stations over HD that I cannot pick up normally.
I enjoy it so much that I picked up one of the Insignia portable units that I use in the house.

Thanks for all the advice and information. There does not seem to be any stations in HD that really interest me in my area and I never considered HD until the guy at Crutchfield mentioned it. All this keeping in mind I am old school and my current radio has a cassette player. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back