Oil Infatuation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be an unorthodox BITOG post.

I have been mesmerized by everything oil since the '60s. My early automotive experience was British sports cars and of course required lots of patience and Castrol products. A lengthy exposure to racing cemented my addiction to all things petroleum. The feel, smell, taste (accidentally), product decals on race cars and oil advertisements were irresistibly intoxicating.

For years I invested everything I could afford in oil drilling, oil production and major oil companies. Now when I buy (change my own oil) almost any oil off the shelf at Wal-Mart, one of my investments profits. All my vehicles run on SOPUS or XOM products.

Oil prices are depressed now and investments are risky so beware if you want to move your 'stash' from slippery to 'paper.'

Like me, have any of you of the BITOG clan taken this perilous, oleaginous road not well traveled?

All in for oil, nutz or not?

crazy2.gif

What I was wanting to know is how many of BITOG members invest in oil companies? With all the interest in oil here there must be plenty.

Which companies?
Drilling-
Refining-
Oil transport/marketing-
domestic/foreign-
futures-

Oil is a huge driver of the American stock market. All BITOG members are oil consumers, lots must be investors or potential investors.

Lots of diverse petroleum knowledge posted here.
Maybe there ought to be another forum topic for petroleum investors.

I have and I do. I lost a bunch on a driller I bought just before the shale boom hit. I have made some on the rest of the oil stocks I have. I caught XOM just before they went after natural gas reserves and I think it was a wise pivot. Their stock prices show agreement from other investors
smile.gif

Biggest positive was Valero before the split. That paid off handsomely
smile.gif

Biggest problem is that I just don't have the time or energy to all the in-depth research to make this a reliable sort of scheme. So I have been sitting on my hands for a while now. Other issues like elder care are my focus for the immediate future ...

Crude entered a bear market late last week as compared to June 2016 highs... Down over 20%. Gasoline inventories are extremely high (much higher than ever before), Iran is flooding the market (approaching it's pre-sanction 4 million BPD), the saudi's are keeping their foot to the floor on production, and U.S. rig counts are increasing at a fast pace (which means more domestic production). I am short curde.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back