Oil Interval Mountain Driving Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

I just completed a couple week vacation and LOTS of miles on the vehicle. When I left it had about 3500 miles on it. It's a 2.0 Subaru with not enough horsepower. Up and through the Rockies and Cascades at 65-80MPH with the engine turning between 2500-5K rpms up the hills. After hitting the rolling plains I kept 'er at about 80-85 with the RPMs around 3-3500 into a stiff wind (weird how when traveling east the wind is NE and traveling back it's SW EVERY time...) Just changed it yesterday at 7300 miles. Was running M1 OW20. With how that motor screams going up a decent mountain I was praying that 0W20 was a good choice by Subaru engineers. Awesomely, I checked the oil at every fuel stop and only had to add 0.5 quarts and that overfilled it a tiny, tiny bit. And, supposedly, this is the engine that uses oil...???

Great story, I know. Feel free to provide input or ridicule or similar experiences where you prayed as your 4banger screamed violently trying to climb hills...

It sure beats having a Chevy Aveo which is what my brother rented when we went out there for my cousin's wedding. That thing in the rockies was memorable and not in a good way. At least the wedding was very nice and the tour of the Coors plant was excellent.

Sound like a nice trip. Glad the car is working out do you. Either way you made it faster than the semis can

It'll be fine on 0w-20. Many a Ford V8 has been screaming up those same roads hauling more weight running 5w-20.

I'd have left the oil in for longer, but if the manual says to change at that interval, do as the book says.

I'd love to know what the coolant and oil temps were when you were pushing the engine hard climbing at high altitudes. From what I've read engines get pretty hot running hard at higher altitudes.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd love to know what the coolant and oil temps were when you were pushing the engine hard climbing at high altitudes. From what I've read engines get pretty hot running hard at higher altitudes.

Funny you should ask. I had my bluetooth OBD reader in and Torque (or is it Torq?) app running. The coolant temp spiked a bit but nothing ridiculous (only a couple degrees C) as compared to flat land driving. The cooling system seems to do its job. On the downhill portion that was basically coasting it would cool right back to it's "operating temp". The engine load was interesting. Doggone thing was using almost the full 155 HP I think!!! I noticed that the flat land into 20+mph wind kept the temp a couple C above what I've noted during less "spirited" driving. The continuous load due to wind seemed worse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
It'll be fine on 0w-20. Many a Ford V8 has been screaming up those same roads hauling more weight running 5w-20.

I'd have left the oil in for longer, but if the manual says to change at that interval, do as the book says.

Book says 7500 mile interval. A couple months of warranty left so...

Originally Posted By: Yup

Funny you should ask. I had my bluetooth OBD reader in and Torque (or is it Torq?) app running. The coolant temp spiked a bit but nothing ridiculous (only a couple degrees C) as compared to flat land driving. The cooling system seems to do its job. On the downhill portion that was basically coasting it would cool right back to it's "operating temp". The engine load was interesting. Doggone thing was using almost the full 155 HP I think!!! I noticed that the flat land into 20+mph wind kept the temp a couple C above what I've noted during less "spirited" driving. The continuous load due to wind seemed worse.

That's good, guys with the 3.6LJeep Wranglers are seeing temp spikes to 240+F climbing some of the higher elevations in Colorado. Those temps would freak me out.

That's good, guys with the 3.6LJeep Wranglers are seeing temp spikes to 240+F climbing some of the higher elevations in Colorado. Those temps would freak me out.

Well, that's what they get for buying a Jeep.
grin.gif
I think mountain driving is sometimes considered "severe". Pretty sure I've read that. Those are pretty high temps.

I just completed a couple week vacation and LOTS of miles on the vehicle. When I left it had about 3500 miles on it. It's a 2.0 Subaru with not enough horsepower. Up and through the Rockies and Cascades at 65-80MPH with the engine turning between 2500-5K rpms up the hills. After hitting the rolling plains I kept 'er at about 80-85 with the RPMs around 3-3500 into a stiff wind (weird how when traveling east the wind is NE and traveling back it's SW EVERY time...) Just changed it yesterday at 7300 miles. Was running M1 OW20. With how that motor screams going up a decent mountain I was praying that 0W20 was a good choice by Subaru engineers. Awesomely, I checked the oil at every fuel stop and only had to add 0.5 quarts and that overfilled it a tiny, tiny bit. And, supposedly, this is the engine that uses oil...???

Great story, I know. Feel free to provide input or ridicule or similar experiences where you prayed as your 4banger screamed violently trying to climb hills...

I have a 2011 Legacy Limited with 49,000 miles on it and I find the CVT does what it takes to keep the car moving. The rpm's do climb but the motor is built for it. The 5.3 in my 2011 Silverado does the same thing going up a hill/mountains towing my 5,000 pound travel trailer. Rpms are not a big deal. Mountain passes are a way of life out West. You learn how to use your transmission.

Coolant temperature runs about 250 climbing in the Silverado-in the Subaru there any not any numbers represented on the temp gauge. This was with 100 degree ambient temperature.

BTW-neither vehicle uses oil between changes.

Last edited:
Your 2l subbie sounds like my 2l Mitsubishi
You have to use the CVT to get the easiest acceleration you can get.
Pray you don't get any headwinds.

Originally Posted By: CKN

I have a 2011 Legacy Limited with 49,000 miles on it and I find the CVT does what it takes to keep the car moving. The rpm's do climb but the motor is built for it. The 5.3 in my 2011 Silverado does the same thing going up a hill/mountains towing my 5,000 pound travel trailer. Rpms are not a big deal. Mountain passes are a way of life out West. You learn how to use your transmission.

Coolant temperature runs about 250 climbing in the Silverado-in the Subaru there any not any numbers represented on the temp gauge. This was with 100 degree ambient temperature.

So the Jeep guys seeing temps of 240 or a bit higher aren't doing that bad.

My 2016 Outback 2.5 sees 230-243 degree oil when in the mountains, it runs about 215-219 on flat land. It drives the wife crazy when I want to see the oil temp instead of the map when traveling!

Originally Posted By: CKN

So the Jeep guys seeing temps of 240 or a bit higher aren't doing that bad.

They are not doing too bad.

Last edited:

I towed a popup through the Adirondack mountains with my Ford Focus. A few hills had to have a bit of revs, but I had no concerns about the oil in the sump. The only spot where I could have used more power was a tight on ramp that gets on a 4 lane highway that's up a pretty steep hill.

The biggest concern was the "lose" front end that I was afraid was going to fall apart. And turns out that was a brake pad that was rattling around.

Wow at the 240F temp! My Focus, which does NOT have a cooling system designed for towing, much less through hilly areas, never got above 200F! I was really surprised. Last month I towed my popup behind the Cherokee to southern PA and a lot of those hills required 2nd gear to keep up with traffic, or maintain 50,55 and that never got hotter than 210 any of the hills. But it has all new cooling system components (guess a 3.6l wrangler would too) and a fan clutch that is always fully engaged. It's tired so it is down a bit on power.

Sounds as though its all relative.

My 2007 Explorer coolant topped out at 220 last year in heavy mountain driving in Colorado, as it turned out with a pinhole leak in one of the coolant hoses. Typically runs 200ish with the AC on on the highway in warm weather... Oil hit 240 on the last drag up to the eisenhower tunnel...

The good old days for me were doing the same driving in an '89 Cavalier with a 2.0l 4 cylinder and a 3 speed auto. The 96 hp at sea level was, how shall we say it, challenged at altitude. All became a game of momentum...

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
It sure beats having a Chevy Aveo which is what my brother rented when we went out there for my cousin's wedding. That thing in the rockies was memorable and not in a good way. At least the wedding was very nice and the tour of the Coors plant was excellent.

For some real fun with an Aveo hit the "hold" button while at a stop light
laugh.gif

It shifts into overdrive.

Just got back from out in Colorado. Spent every day climbing trails, and having a blast in my Silverado. Even fully loaded (5 passengers, back full of gear and two coolers) maintaining interstate speeds, I never saw over 176 degree transmission temp, and 219 degree coolant temp. I do have the max trailering package though...so little better cooling packages I imagine. Up at 14,000+ feet even my 6.2L felt kind of doggy.

Last edited:
My other cars always had short geared, slow, 4-bangers.
The new sportwagen with less displacement, but a turbo and tall gearing, wants to stay in 5th gear going up long grades at 2200-2300 rpm and 70 mph. Not what I'm used to, but I like it.

Oil temps sometimes get above 230, but are usually under 223 on flatland, even with 100* outside temps.

Great highway cruiser.
Despite going from 3000' to over 10,000', then lots of slow, short drives around the campground and to climbing areas, then back down to ~4000'; that tank of gas returned 38 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back