Shuffle your feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Thursday, at Coronado Beach, 35 people were stung by stingrays. Friday, 23 more were stung at the same beach. Coronado tends to have somewhat milder wave action than many of our local beaches, and Thursday and Friday were particularly calm. I don't know if stingrays travel in schools or what, but 35 people stung at one beach indicates that there were a heck of a lot of stingrays there.

I don't swim in the ocean much, but I do wade out while I'm surf fishing. Fortunately I haven't stepped on any stingrays so far, but I have caught some. They're difficult to release (I release most of what I catch in the surf and bays) since they try to sting your hand off the whole time.

Is that where The Del is located? Very nice area around there and would like to go back soon especially in the winter months. Maybe even go traipsing through Tijuana unless there's a travel warning there from the state dept.

So you don't step on one. If you shuffle then the movement will scoot the stingray away hopefully and less likely to sting.

A popular pastime here when I was younger was floundering - walking around tidal bays at night with a spotlight and a spear. But stingray live in the same places...you weren't getting me out there. I almost stood on one once - jumped out of the dinghy onto the beach, then was stepping back out to pull it in just as a stingray was cruising the shorline...very close, had my foot in the aiir.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Is that where The Del is located? Very nice area around there and would like to go back soon especially in the winter months. Maybe even go traipsing through Tijuana unless there's a travel warning there from the state dept.

Yes, right by the Hotel Del.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back