Possible Valve adjustment needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked to a local mechanic (he is good but not the best) and said my valves are ticking and they do sound different. he does not have the expertise to do this They have never been adjusted my car runs well and does not consume alot of oil. I have had them checked a couple times in the past and were ok. How much would this service cost and what is involved.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adjusting them takes not much longer than just checking them. 1 to 1.5 hours is probably what most shops would bill, plus a new valve cover gasket set. Burning a valve gets much more expensive. What mileage were they last checked at?

last may maybe? my guy in MN usually checked everything but officially 100k in 2008 then 151k in 2013 abouts. just started ticking , they told me they just listen to them .. Guy in MN was expert on hondas but new guy is not as knowledgeable

It's tight valves that can cause expensive damage (burned valve); they make no ticking.
I would get them measured, not just listened to, every 60k miles.
I owned 4 Hondas in the past, '75 Civic, 81, '85, '88 Accords.
Valve adjustment was an easy DIY job, every 15k on the CIvic, 30k on the others.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
What kind of mechanic can't perform a "Overhead" on a 16-valve Honda??

This was my first thought, also.

Not to be disparaging, and he may be a great and honest person, but I think I would have some difficulty trusting his advice or other work if he doesn't feel comfortable performing a straightforward valve adjustment on a Honda.

My suggestion would be to pick up a set of feeler gauges and a service manual, and spend the afternoon adjusting them yourself.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
2001 civic hx, 1.7 manual says adjust if needed.

Honda always says this but it is almost never needed, especially if running well with no other symptoms.

Get a second opinion. Your mechanic does not inspire much confidence.

Last edited:
I had four Hondas before I went to Toyotas. All the Hondas had adjustable valve clearance. I used a no-go gauge and remember that rotating the crank three times allowed all sixteen valves to be adjusted.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
2001 civic hx, 1.7 manual says adjust if needed.

Honda always says this but it is almost never needed, especially if running well with no other symptoms.

Get a second opinion. Your mechanic does not inspire much confidence.

Thats what I have been thinking its just a slight tick . not loud like others I have heard on you tube , Ill get a 2nd opinion

It goes about 3500 to 4k before it needs 1 qrt with short trip driving. I usually top off when it hits 1/2 qrt and does'nt start to drop till maybe 2000m

Is this guy like a "non professional mechanic friend" or a legit ASE certified mechanic? A valve adjustment is super simple. Every mechanic should know how to do it. A valve adjustment is easier than doing anything except maybe an oil change and manual tranny fluid change. I'd be skeptical of this "mechanic" if he says he can't adjust valves. At least he's honest I guess and not doing work he feels uncomfortable doing. A valve adjustment should be between $150-200, approximately. I think the 2001 years have the "check if noisy" every 100-120K miles. I've checked mine every 50-60K and they've always been a little off. Oddly, as some would say, some of my exhaust valves have gotten tighter when I checked them. If you haven't checked/adjusted them in over 50-60K miles it wouldn't hurt. You'll probably notice a quieter engine after.

To add, a little valve tick is pretty "normal" with Subaru, Toyota, Honda engines. Even after adjustment.

Send a pm to "Trav" on here to see if he would be interested in doing that service on the car and to check his location. It seems you're both in the same state. Worth a shot.

Originally Posted By: Yup
To add, a little valve tick is pretty "normal" with Subaru, Toyota, Honda engines. Even after adjustment.

I know that my Triumph, even after shimmed to specs, is noisy as [censored]. I knew things were getting too tight in my engine when it got quiet.

He is ase certified but some of the stuff he tells me I disagree with.. He said they cant be adjusted and my manual says to check every 110k or 7 yrs and adjust if needed. It looks easy to me and I could prolly do it but dont want to risk anything. valve cover was replaced 03/2014. I had them checked- listened to at 100 k and then 151k, mech back in MN was a genius and said they are ok.. he is a big Honda and asian guy. Ill get somone esle to check them

Thanks to all here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back