BMW Hexhead gearbox oil? Redline shockproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get lubricants for my 2007 R1200R. I read 75W90 GL5 for final drive and 75W90 to 75W140 for gearbox.

Curious for your oil recommendations, and specifically if Red Line Shockproof Heavy is suitable. I have read at least someone on here using it in their BMW.

The thing is I have most of a bottle of it in my garage. I tried it in a chain oiler on a different bike, and I found it too thick to flow through the oiler. In one post here I saw it described as having the flow of a 75W90 (while having some other characteristic of a much thicker oil), but Red Line 75W90 flowed a lot better in my chain oiler. So I'm wondering if y'all can convince me it's suitable for my BMW transmission. If not that, do you have any specific recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I used Shockproof Heavy in the gearbox and final drive of my 1997 and 2004 Beemers. It shifted wonderfully, and I wouldn't suggest anything else.

As a matter of fact, I might have some unopened containers to sell you, if you're interested.

Thanks! Unless I get talked out of it on here before I do the job, it looks like it will be shockproof heavy in the trans.

I'll check my stash. I sold my last Beemer, so I don't have a use for it anymore. If I have some, I don't mind sending it your way at a discount. I have some Red Line 20w-50 motor oil too, if you're interested.

Agree with above posts. It's hard to believe how much different a transmission will shift and feel just by changing
to Shockproof. I wouldn't consider any other product for any bike I've owned having a separate primary or gear box.
I also highly recommend RL oil in all pre-wethead Beemers.

Last edited:
I'm really happy with the Shockproof Heavy I used in the trans based on the recommendations here. Thanks!

Redline recommended it for the final drive as well. Didn't use it there though as I had read a couple of reports of it coming out of the FD vent. I expect mine has a vent since the FD heats up, though I haven't noticed the vent. Wondering if the newer, lower FD oil levels would eliminate that.

I've had it in my Electra Glide transmission for a couple of years now. Good results so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back