Need an alternator, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you buy just the regulator, and replace it? Id probably go that route unless its REALLY hard to get to and replace, in which place The Critic has the right advice.

If you can get the/a regulator that fits in the spot, it may be as simple as unsoldering and resoldering the new one...

I took out the alternator and carried it into O'Reilly's and they used a different tester and it tested as good. I don't know what to do, tempted to just put it back in the car and drive the wheels off of it, it's charging the battery.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I said that the fan isn't blowing as hard.

Possibly indicating not as much voltage.

Does your car have a cabin air filter? That could make a difference in flow if it's really dirty.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
I said that the fan isn't blowing as hard.

Possibly indicating not as much voltage.

Does your car have a cabin air filter? That could make a difference in flow if it's really dirty.
It doesn't have one.

I put the alternator back in and I'll just drive it and see how it goes.

I took out the alternator and carried it into O'Reilly's and they used a different tester and it tested as good. I don't know what to do, tempted to just put it back in the car and drive the wheels off of it, it's charging the battery.

It tested good because it is good. If you have a problem it's elsewhere or more likely due to the heat wave making you think it's not working as good as it really is.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

It tested good because it is good. If you have a problem it's elsewhere or more likely due to the heat wave making you think it's not working as good as it really is.
I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread.

I had it tested 3 times. The first 2 times it failed, the last time it passed.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread.

I had it tested 3 times. The first 2 times it failed, the last time it passed.

This translates to roughly a 66% failure rate if my math is correct.

Thankfully the local airport doesn't see these numbers..

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
DENSO remanufactured starter from sparkplugs.com
Starter?

I went to that website and their starters and alternators are $1200

Originally Posted By: Vikas
what in the world A/C has to do with alternator? 13.45V is fine and it shows alternator is charging.

I would 100% agree with this statement. Battery voltage at best is 12.8 so the alternator is charging it. Pending on the load it could be 13.5-14.8. When most fail, they dont charge at all. Last two i had that fail, 12.4v car off and 11.5 car on.

Your 90% fan assessment... is well not scientific. Fans are controlled by relays. Some 5v and some 12v, so either the fan works or it doesn't. It has nothing to do with the alternator. I would look at the fan itself if you want to dig for a problem. Maybe the bearings are slowly binding or need to cleaned and lubed.

If you must get a alternator. I went el cheapo $99 or something no core, brand new off amazon. My maxima and lancer has been using it for 5months, both cars are daily drivers with no highway all city. No issues with them.

Last edited:
Its either a motor on its way out or a problem with too much resistance in the wire or a shoddy connection. Measure the voltage at the power wire on the motor itself. It should be pretty close to the system voltage and if its not try cleaning up the connection and take new readings. Could also be the main (thick) power wire going to the relay itself.

Its not the alternator.

why would somebody change an alternator if he thinks one device on his car "seems" to be running at 90%?

this would be textbook case of insanity.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
DENSO remanufactured starter from sparkplugs.com
Starter?

I went to that website and their starters and alternators are $1200
I replaced the alternator on my 04 Camry last December with a remanufactured unit from sparkplugs.com. It was less than $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back