Strange oil filter experiance. I'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 3.0 v/6 Ranger 4x4 pickup. 212,000 miles.

I am putting in a new gasket set for the timing chain cover and I drained the oil and dropped the oil pan as far as it would go to access the timing chain cover.

I next took off the oil filer. A Purolater One gold colored filter. It had been on the truck for about 3,000 miles and 2 1/2 years. I don't drive it much. Oil was 5-30 Valvoline hi mileage semi- synthetic.

The oil filter is on the drivers side and sits at about a 45 degree angle with the gasket side facing up.

The part I don't understand was that the filter seemed very light weight when I took it off. No oil spilled on the garage floor. I cut open the filter with an air cutting wheel and the filter material did look normal/used but the filter was just about empty.

The other really strange thing was that on the top of the filter just inside of the gasket was a ring of what looked like new oil ( maybe from the oil I put on the gasket 2 1/2 years ago?). The part of the filter with the slots in it also looked very clean.

I have not needed to add any oil to the engine in a long time. The oil that came out when I drained it was pretty dirty looking but not unusual.

What do you think would cause the lack of oil in the filter and the clean oil on the top of the filter?

Thanks guys!

That happened to me on a Vulcan in a Taurus before and I am still confused as to why. I didn't really investigate because it was a beater and it was running OK...

The oil looks "clean" on the filter base plate because the oil layer is thin. Dip in to your drain pan and put some of that oil on a clean metal surface and it will probably look cleaner than the oil in the drain pan.

Sounds like the ADBV wasn't' working right on that filter.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
It's semi-vertical so the ADBV doesn't do anything I think?

The ADBV is still needed in that orientation. Even if the filter is perfectly vertical with base up, the ADBV can still prevent oil above the filter from draining out of the oil galleries.

What exactly would happen if it failed in that orientation? Sorry but I'm dumb about nitty-gritty engine internals sometimes
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back