Meg's Ultimate vs Collinite 845/476s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Collinite with Rejex on the glass/headlights. My Collinite is pretty much dead, it's really old now. So, I had been just using the Rejex for a while and that is OK if you apply it very specifically. If you don't follow the directions to a T, it doesn't seem to last.

The Collinite is pretty durable, if done carefully it lasts forever and there's no question to its durability.

Since I needed to replace materials, and have been relocating/away from home, I bought some Meg's Ultimate liquid at WalMart because it was easy to get and reasonably priced. I like the look, and that it is compatible with their "system" (such as claying/polishing) and they have an easy spray wax version. I think the end product looks a little nicer than I've gotten with Collinite--but it's never really been known to be top in looks, just protection.

Does anyone have experience with both? I've only had the Meg's on my car for a month or so, and I've been hitting it with the spray way after any hand washing. It seems to do OK, but I work in a fairly harsh environment and wonder if I should not go back to Collinite.

My wife has the signature red from Mazda, and I think the Meg's will look really nice on it (better than Collinite), and the car stands out a little more anyway.

I don't really obsess about detailing, just want the cars to look nice for a long time. I work where the car is exposed to extreme heat, sun, and dust while sitting in the parking lot (and the road to get there). After a week of work the 4Runner looks pretty bad, but it's mostly dust and some bugs on the front.

Last edited:
For durability go with 476. There is a fairly believable rumor that 845 is just 476 with increased solvents for ease of application.

If you don't mind going with synthetics, you could try Sonax Polymer Net Shield. It's an interesting product that seems to have good durability if you can get past it not feeling slick.

I haven't used Collinite, but I have had good results with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant. Not cheap, though.

I am currently working through a bottle of the Megs Ultimate, and it is "good enough". Probably not up there with Wolfgang, though.

I've used both on mostly red cars / trucks and one gray Honda. The Meguiar's 16 and 26 give my red vehicles a nice even deep gloss. The Collinite 476s, is a touch less of a gloss than Meg's 16 and 26 but a lot more durable beading / sheeting. For some reason the Collinite 845 (also good in the durability department)gives off the highest gloss, almost a plastic look on my red vehicles but imparts an ever so slight lighter hue-kinda a slight orange/red look. At least to my eyes it does.

You could try a base coat of 476s and a top coat of Meg's 26. I've done that in the past with decent results.

I'll probably go back to the Collinite on the 4Runner at least for the winter. My tin of it is dried up and pretty bad, same with my 845. I am thinking there's no reason for both, just stick with the 476s.

I'll probably try the Meg's on the Mazda at least to start out. I think it will look better on that car, and it won't be in as harsh an environment--but will still have the sun and heat to deal with.

I've used Megs ULW and UPW (ultimate liquid/paste wax) a number of times. I don't like the liquid, hard to buff off for me? I also have never used Collinite.

That said, I read that you are using their spray wax as well (UQW). I use the pro version, Meguiars D156 regularly. I find it offers nice shine, exceptional water beading and lasts a very long time for a spray wax. In fact, other than 1-2 "real" waxes per year, my DD sees virtually only Megs D156 (UQW)! 9/10 I have one of the shiniest cars or trucks in the lot.

I've used just about everything that's been posted already from Collinite, Wolfgang, Nanolex, Adam's, to OTC Meg's.

In my opinion, Collinite is a far superior to Meg's hands down. It's easy to use and is really durable lasting anywhere from 5-7 months for me here in NYC whereas the Meg's would last half that. These days I've moved over to Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Paint Sealer and top with Sonax Premium Class Carnauba to try it out and really like the results.

Thanks everyone, I have some good things to try out. I'll probably order some 476s, and look into a few of the other ones mentioned. I haven't heard of Sonax until recently (saw it on Velocity), and hadn't really seen DuraGloss locally until I found a local parts store that carries it--so probably worth a look.

Originally Posted By: buck91
That said, I read that you are using their spray wax as well (UQW). I use the pro version, Meguiars D156 regularly. I find it offers nice shine, exceptional water beading and lasts a very long time for a spray wax. In fact, other than 1-2 "real" waxes per year, my DD sees virtually only Megs D156 (UQW)! 9/10 I have one of the shiniest cars or trucks in the lot.

This sounds interesting, even if I use another product. I like to use the spray wax now post-wash, I guess I figure it goes really fast and gives some possibly needed extra protection. It has also been so very hot here in UT that I can't keep the vehicle wet enough. I usually get lots of small water spots, and the spray wax seems to take them right off. I could probably just do a final once-over with a microfiber after drying, but the spray wax does fine.

It was pricey, but I picked up a full Heatshield window cover kit for the whole vehicle. Kind of goofy, but I think it does a good job protecting the interior. I wax the lights in hopes they won't fog over so quick either.

OK, maybe a dumb follow up. If I went back to Collinite 476S on my 4Runner, could I still use the synthetic D156 spray wax on top of it? Or would it be better to go with a synthetic / sealer type product under it?

Originally Posted By: MisterBen
OK, maybe a dumb follow up. If I went back to Collinite 476S on my 4Runner, could I still use the synthetic D156 spray wax on top of it? Or would it be better to go with a synthetic / sealer type product under it?

I'd apply it to a clean 'clayed' surface and use the synthetic spray wax over it.

I remember ordering a few things directly from Duragloss. I asked if there was any way to get a sample of their Aquawax. I thought I'd get a small, couple ounce sample. Nope, they sent a full size bottle of it. And yes I really like the stuff, great scent and super easy to use.

Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (Liquid or Paste) will last every bit as long as 845 and look better doing it. That is on a properly prepared paint surface.

476 will last longer than either Meg's Ultimate or 845.

Originally Posted By: genynnc
Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (Liquid or Paste) will last every bit as long as 845 and look better doing it. That is on a properly prepared paint surface.

Maybe it has something to do with color? I found 845 to look better and last longer than anything from Meguiar's on dark blue, black, and silver. You're right about 476, it was the loner lasting of the three in all instances for me as well.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Maybe it has something to do with color? I found 845 to look better and last longer than anything from Meguiar's on dark blue, black, and silver. You're right about 476, it was the loner lasting of the three in all instances for me as well.

It has nothing to do with color, 845 will outlast Megs ULW and looks just as good on any color.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It has nothing to do with color, 845 will outlast Megs ULW and looks just as good on any color.

That's pretty much what I said, but tossed the color question out there anyway. My experience was there was no contest, 845 lasted longer on any vehicle I tried it on.

There is no Megs product that will even come close to lasting as long as the Collinite...

Still laughing....
crazy.gif

I use Collinite 476 as a base coat and then (after waiting at least 24 hours) I apply a second coat of 845. This combo seems to work best for me, lasting a long, long time and looking quite good.
I've never used a Meguiar's wax that approached Collinite in terms of durability. I like their Gold Class car wash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back