How do you politely say no to people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone at work who asks for bit to much help asked me if I "had a minute". He doesn't like to move anything heavy.

I replied with "I'm sorry [name], I have no minutes!" and went about what I was doing.

Depends on the person....but there's a mechanic in my current home town that only accepts jobs he wants to do. He simply tells me, "I don't do that kind of work" and suggests an alternate place to have it done. He's very polite about it, just a flat statement with no judgement.

There's also the "let me check my calendar and give you a call".

There's also the "Because of our past dealings I've decided it's best that I don't perform this work for you any more." and suggest someone else.

If none of those work, they're a tool and deserve to be told to zark off.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
No, I won't tell you how. Not only do I not have the time, but something that simple should be easy to figure out for any reasonably intelligent adult.

This. The OP seems to have a lot of problems in "People Interactions"

Originally Posted By: Al
No, I won't tell you how. Not only do I not have the time, but something that simple should be easy to figure out for any reasonably intelligent adult.

^^^ this.observe motor ....... (m o m)'s threads.

- how do you avoid being perceived as a rookie ..... ?

- friend only wants to do what he wants ?

- has anyone met a long distance friend ?

- why do people put trash in other peoples truck bed ?

and, this thread. m o m states that he's 5'4", skinny, and has difficulty dealing with people, or some such line.
it appears that m o m has inferiority issues, and just wants people to talk to. he can't do it in person, so he's doing it on bitog, so there's no face to face interaction.he can't get shot down/screamed at (I forgot to mention that thread) behind a keyboard.these threads are a cry for help.
the one about the trash in truck beds is worthy of merk.

m o m -- perhaps it's time to see a professional, and discuss your obvious issues.finding someone to talk to, on the 'net, will not solve anything.

good luck, and have a good evening.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
And that is why I have no "friends"
Smoky

I'm the same way. The older I get, the more to ourselves my wife and I have become. Especially since retirement. I've met a few people that I became really good friends with over the years. I could count them all on the fingers of one hand. The rest I would just call "acquaintances". Sadly, most have passed away, or have become so old they don't have their faculties any more. Most people like to know your business, or find out what you have. It always seems as if they're constantly trying to prove something to you. Most are much too competitive, and or inquisitive. We enjoy doing the things we like, and have a fulfilling life without being attached to a brood of people. If it weren't for the lack of convenience, and distant medical care if something should happen, I could easily live in a very remote area. Especially the way the world is becoming today. We still may.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
And that is why I have no "friends"
Smoky

I'm the same way. The older I get, the more to ourselves my wife and I have become. Especially since retirement. I've met a few people that I became really good friends with over the years. I could count them all on the fingers of one hand. The rest I would just call "acquaintances". Sadly, most have passed away, or have become so old they don't have their faculties any more. Most people like to know your business, or find out what you have. It always seems as if they're constantly trying to prove something to you. Most are much too competitive, and or inquisitive. We enjoy doing the things we like, and have a fulfilling life without being attached to a brood of people. If it weren't for the lack of convenience, and distant medical care if something should happen, I could easily live in a very remote area. Especially the way the world is becoming today. We still may.

While my acquaintances haven't started passing away, I can list as well my list of friends is very, very short. I do have a recent friend within the last year who's company is extremely enjoyable, but I think it's sub-heard that if he and his girlfriend - my wife's best friend - go to splits-ville, we won't be hanging out any longer.

Unless we both split?(!) Nah, my wife doesn't want to make me filthy rich like that.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: yeti

and, this thread. m o m states that he's 5'4", skinny, and has difficulty dealing with people, or some such line.
it appears that m o m has inferiority issues, and just wants people to talk to. he can't do it in person, so he's doing it on bitog, so there's no face to face interaction.he can't get shot down/screamed at (I forgot to mention that thread) behind a keyboard.these threads are a cry for help.

m o m -- perhaps it's time to see a professional, and discuss your obvious issues.finding someone to talk to, on the 'net, will not solve anything.

Maybe he has Social Anxiety issues ?

People ask me to help them out with their aircraft all the time. I've had a hard time saying no. But the bottom line is that I have near zero free time and these leaches will gladly consume 100% of any free time I may have. They will even get pushy, "well, when you are finished with work, do this"

Lately, I've been finishing work at 10PM. Not much time left!

I now simply say "sorry, but I can't help you".

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Maybe he has Social Anxiety issues ?

I don't know the exact terminology for his "issues", but, his threads are a cry for help.
any shrink reading these threads would be salivating -- hoping for a few patients like this to put his kids through college.
seriously,m o m would be wise to seek help, to guide him through his "issues". I wish him well.

Well I see I've asked too many personal questions on here. I guess I better quit before people start thinking I'm crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Well I see I've asked too many personal questions on here. I guess I better quit before people start thinking I'm crazy.

lol..we need some drama on this board..gets kinda' boring at times. Keep up the good work!
cheers3.gif

lol..we need some drama on this board..gets kinda' boring at times. Keep up the good work!
cheers3.gif

I wonder if I should tell you guys about my date I went on yesterday....

... and now you live us hangin'.....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

... and now you live us hangin'.....
lol

Some people are just edgelords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back