Installing A Magnefine Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the ridiculous cost of the plastic composite transmission pan and built in filters I figured a magnefine filter would save me from dropping & replacing the composite plastic pan until at least the 100k mile mark.

My question ----> is it better to install this inline filter after the radiator (return line) or before the radiator (line out of trans)?

Hopefully this 8HP70 has a section of rubber hose to make the installation easy. Need to do some serious line tracing.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters much. The return line will be at engine coolant temps..maybe slightly cooler than the inlet side when driven hard.

I would use the line which gives you the best position to service the Magnefine filter.

Per the manufacturer, you would install it before the cooler on a new vehicle in order to keep the cooler clean, after the cooler on an older vehicle which already has contaminants lodged in the cooler. Obviously you would also put it before the cooler if the cooler gets replaced for some reason. How many miles are on the truck?

17K miles. Hopefully the lines are not all stainless. Most have a few inches of rubber hoses before and after the radiator to make for a quick install.

Thanks for the replies

Good idea - but I think the cooler you keep the plastic filter the better.
Put mine behind both coolers in case one dumps debris all at once. Got away from them after a housing leak and switched to Derale spin on kit. If you buy hose, look for Gates.

After going to the magnefine site. Looks like the return line is the ideal place to install. Since the 8sp normally runs around 200-219*F placing after the radiator would make better sense since the filter has a plastic housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back