whole hog cook w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my yearly batch of pigs in to be butchered and kept my small gilt back for the cooker. She dressed out at 152 where the barrows were all in the 225 range. She was perfect size for the cooker. First picture is around 5 hours in and second picture is around 10 hours and shows the finished product. We pulled all of the meat for pulled pork and kept the loins and tenderloins aside.

pig1.jpg

pig2.jpg

Was witness to roasting a "600 lb." pig once (years ago) and it was just OK. I feel the large size resulted in meat which was just heated ("body steamed") rather than cooked.

Was involved with cooking a goat years ago and it was much better. There I cut the firewood down to a manageable sized chips which could be spread about to match the thickness of the carcass.

In fact, I was left to tend the coals. The regulars at that party probably considered me an "interested first-timer/willing worker/gift from God".

The pig in the photos looks perfectly done. I'll be sending you a pre-addressed styrofoam shipping case later in the day. Thank you.

ps The loins are the thighs and the tenderloins are the beautiful mussels on each side of the backbone, right?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Was witness to roasting a "600 lb." pig once (years ago) and it was just OK. I feel the large size resulted in meat which was just heated ("body steamed") rather than cooked.

Was involved with cooking a goat years ago and it was much better. There I cut the firewood down to a manageable sized chips which could be spread about to match the thickness of the carcass.

In fact, I was left to tend the coals. The regulars at that party probably considered me an "interested first-timer/willing worker/gift from God".

The pig in the photos looks perfectly done. I'll be sending you a pre-addressed styrofoam shipping case later in the day. Thank you.

ps The loins are the thighs and the tenderloins are the beautiful mussels on each side of the backbone, right?

I would LOVE to cook a whole goat! If you guys were even remotely local I would love to share. She yielded ten, 2 gallon bags of meat and 2 bags of loin meat.

I can't believe they tried to cook a 600 pound pig. That thing was barely fit for sausage. This gilt was around 6 months old and weighed around 200 on the hoof.

The loins (pork chop meat) run the length of the spine on top and the tenderloins are on the bottom side (inside) of the spine towards the rear.

Man that looks good.Can't believe you didn't call.

I love Ham.
I can only buy the Already Cooked type (must be lean).
I like to cut it into 3/8" squares and heat in the Toaster Oven until it's dry.
I think that really brings out the flavor.

Not to hijack this Thread, but on a slightly different topic.
I like Ham
I like Roast Beef
I like Turkey

Question: Why do they all taste different.
What is it about the 'muscle' that gives each Animal it's distinct flavor.

Although, a lot of 'smaller' animals I am told "tastes like Chicken"

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Not to hijack this Thread, but on a slightly different topic.
I like Ham
I like Roast Beef
I like Turkey

Ahhh, processed deli meats filled with sodium and lots of other things that aren't good for you. Try something else like fresh ground peanut butter on a whole wheat cracker instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back