wheel bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always bought "high temp" grease for packing wheel bearings. Mostly so that I don't have to keep two different kinds around.

But I'm wondering if a non-high temp grease wouldn't be a better choice for trailers. Even with electric brakes (drum) I've never gotten north of 200 degrees.

I remember seeing a video online a while back that showed how the grease is supposed to flow in a circular pattern through the hub as the grease heats up. But in the bearings I have done, I don't find that to be the case. The grease in the bearing is dark, while the grease on the spindle between the bearings is still the original color. So this makes me wonder if the high temp grease is not the best choice for axels that dont "need" the high temp grease.

Perhaps a standard grease would get better into its working range and flow better in the hub.

I really wish I could find that video, bit for the life of me I cannot. But It showed the grease flowing in a circular pattern from the front bearing to the rear and back. However this is not what I'm seeing in real life.

What say you?

Originally Posted By: meborder
I've always bought "high temp" grease for packing wheel bearings. Mostly so that I don't have to keep two different kinds around.

But I'm wondering if a non-high temp grease wouldn't be a better choice for trailers. Even with electric brakes (drum) I've never gotten north of 200 degrees.

I remember seeing a video online a while back that showed how the grease is supposed to flow in a circular pattern through the hub as the grease heats up. But in the bearings I have done, I don't find that to be the case. The grease in the bearing is dark, while the grease on the spindle between the bearings is still the original color. So this makes me wonder if the high temp grease is not the best choice for axels that dont "need" the high temp grease.

Perhaps a standard grease would get better into its working range and flow better in the hub.

I really wish I could find that video, bit for the life of me I cannot. But It showed the grease flowing in a circular pattern from the front bearing to the rear and back. However this is not what I'm seeing in real life.

What say you?

I'd go down a NLGI grade, or 2...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Imo having grease in them and repacking them occasionally is more important than the type of grease

And actually repacking them, not just putting grease in the hub. I have a scored spindle on my camper from the previous owners paying to have the bearings repacked and only getting a bunch of grease in the hub.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

I'd go down a NLGI grade, or 2...

I have no idea what that means; can you please educate me?

I've just never looked at grease much.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
It seems the base oil viscosity is more important than the nlgi grade.

Yup, real grease vs palliative treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back