How do you politely say no to people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually I'm so mad by the time I decide I'm not doing anything for someone anymore, that I can't think of anything to say other than to [censored] off. lol These people either don't listen or can't take no for an answer, so that's what leads me to this point. Opinions? What's a good way to tell people no without coming off as a ****?

N-O.

Which letter do you not understand, the N or the O?

Sarcasm is fun, especially if they're stupid enough to push it.

being a certain genital will yield a better experience that the opposite one. Walk on em, beats the opposite.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
being a certain genital will yield a better experience that the opposite one. Walk on em, beats the opposite.

HA! I like that one.

But yeah, just tell them sorry you can't or what have you.

There's nothing worse than beating around the bush. Tell them you can't as soon as possible, and don't go into detail explaining why unless they ask for it. This saves everybody time and frustation.

Problem isn't how you SAY something politely, it's how it's received that gives you the reputation of being polite or otherwise.

Being open, honest and frank, but subtle and "polite" will have certain sociopaths thinking that you are saying yes...then you end up with the F-Bomb, and you are taken as being rude.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Problem isn't how you SAY something politely, it's how it's received that gives you the reputation of being polite or otherwise.

Being open, honest and frank, but subtle and "polite" will have certain sociopaths thinking that you are saying yes...then you end up with the F-Bomb, and you are taken as being rude.

Exactly. It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood. Karl Popper said it best.

Just quietly say no, smile, and move on.

Just say no, if they press be honest and say why. That should stop a friend from pressing the issue. Good friends don't press the issue, the people who do aren't your friends, and aren't worth having as friends.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Just say no, if they press be honest and say why. That should stop a friend from pressing the issue. Good friends don't press the issue, the people who do aren't your friends, and aren't worth having as friends.

And that is why I have no "friends"
Smoky

I used to have a difficult time saying no. Today, I could care less if I come across as a third member. Being firm sorts out true friends from the ones who take advantage of you. Being firm and resolute gives you respect with your true friends as the people who try to take advantage of you will go away. I know people who only call me when they need something. When they call, I preface the conversation with; "What do you need?" A true friend will say nothing while a leech will get offended.
I have 6 different signs in my garage saying; "No You May Not Borrow My Tools". That alone has saved me from saying no a lot. You can see the look on peoples faces as they stare at the signs.

No, I won't tell you how. Not only do I not have the time, but something that simple should be easy to figure out for any reasonably intelligent adult.

Some people make it impossible for you to be polite.
People who won't take no for an answer are an example of this.
In general, anyone asking you to perform a service that you do for a living for free is out of line unless you call them "mom" or "dad".
Anyone asking you to give up a lot of free time to help them for free is probably out of line.
Anyone who asks you to do something for them without charge who will never reciprocate is out of line.
Some people will try to work this by asking whether they can call you if they run into a problem they can't handle.
Your answer should be that they should search you-tube, where they'll find a nice video showing them exactly what to do.
It's not that you're being a jerk. It's that you have to preserve your free time for family and for those tasks you need to get done yourself.

When the asker starts spilling details of what they want, just say "this sounds like it takes a lot of time and I'm real busy." If they keep elaborating just say, yup, too much going on, can't do it.

I don't have that problem. and NO, I won't tell you why not.

Not sure I need to explain myself to anyone needing something. "Sorry Charlie" seems to work. Some people might hint around at something then I can decide on weather to volunteer or not. Ope nope I meant "whether".
thumbsup2.gif

Plus what would you rather do help a beautiful lady out or some dope. Based on some of your other threads.

If you're getting angry you don't have a healthy detachment from the outcome. In other words, you shouldn't take it personally. What they are asking is about them at least 80%, probably more like 95%+. People who take advantage of other people don't discriminate. Those people are constantly probing for "help". Read this, it's amazing: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B0...p_fglNxbT67PXTR

In the mean time you can say no and leave it there, but you might want to offer something else. Such as, no, I can't lend you my car, but I can give you a ride or help with a bus pass. This lets you say no to someone taking advantage of you, but still gives you the opportunity to help. If your "no, but..." offer isn't received well you're not dealing with a functional adult and you're better off without that person in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back