To change or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I leave for vacation on the 19th. We are going to North Carolina my question is this. I will have about 4,000 miles on the oil when I leave for NC. My olm is at 64% would yo do it before leaving or waing until it at 10% olm

4000 miles with 64% left on the OLM means you're averaging 40% left on the OLM especially since highway miles are easy on oil. Leave it in.

I'm a piece of mind kind of guy myself. If it were mine I'd change it and not let it stay stuck in the back of my mind the whole way. Obviously there's enough life in left in that oil according to the OLM, but again I'm a piece of mind kind of guy.

A few years ago I drove from Franklin VA to here in Montgomery AL and I left VA with 50% on my OLM. The drive was approximately 750 each way(military leave) plus about 500 miles of driving once we got there. Two days before we left to head back to VA, I changed the oil with PP 0w-20 and a M1 filter. The oil drained was Honda branded 0w-20 and oem filter. Could I have been ok to leave the old in on the return trip? Most likely or "definitely" according to some on here. But for piece of mind, I changed it and lifted that worry.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of mountain driving. If it were the flatlands, I wouldn't change. I'd change for peace of mind. If you dont, you'll be thinking about it. I'd gladly pay $40 if it meant I would get extra sleep at night

I agree with AirgunSavant. Oil is better now-a-days and OLMs are geared to promote early oil changes.

You'd be taking a highway trip (easy on oil) on good oil.

Premature OCIs are an established form of "over-engineering", meaning we already change it "too early".

If you might "punch it" on the open road and a bypass mode results in your oil being washed over the dirty filter's exterior and immediately circulated back into the engine then a clean filter might be your most effective thing to do.

And, as always, without analysis we know nothing.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I leave for vacation on the 19th. We are going to North Carolina my question is this. I will have about 4,000 miles on the oil when I leave for NC. My olm is at 64% would yo do it before leaving or waing until it at 10% olm

Leave it in and enjoy the trip.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
But for piece of mind

Just for my own peace of mind, I'd like to know which piece of your mind you're talking about?

It's at 60℅ now so itll be closer to 50℅ when i leave. So by time I get back itll have around 7000 miles on the oil.

Well don't touch the car the day before you leave on your trip. Sometimes oil filters leak. But, you can change the oil 1 or 2 weeks before. Check for leaks after the work is done.

I'd just change it afterwards.

and like jorton says, don't do anything just a few days before the trip, either do it well in advance or leave until after.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Well don't touch the car the day before you leave on your trip. Sometimes oil filters leak. But, you can change the oil 1 or 2 weeks before. Check for leaks after the work is done.

Yes. Change next week or week after. Peace of mind is more than worth it. You'll feel good on your trip knowing you have a fresh OC under you.

ram_man, you've been here long enough to know better
27.gif
-- long trips easiest on oil, all the calculations done by fellow BITOGers, etc etc

Relax and enjoy your vacation, but before you go buy your oil and filter so you can change it when you get back.

Which vehicle? What oil/filter is in it? How loaded down will the vehicle be on the trip?

You could just split the difference and have it changed half way through your trip.

How many miles do you estimate the round trip to be, including all the additional driving you're going to do when you arrive? I change my oil every 5K miles, if the trip is going to be more than 1,500 miles total [allowing for 10% additional miles in this case] I'd change it before. Under 1,500 miles I'd leave it.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: jorton

Yes. Change next week or week after. Peace of mind is more than worth it. You'll feel good on your trip knowing you have a fresh OC under you.

Change it!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back