Camaro "How its Made" TV show Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the "How its Made" show on the Camaro with the Romulus V6 and 8 speed auto slushbox.

Observations, largely not stellar:
The cylinder walls are very thick looking with very narrow and small coolant passages.

They do a special plasma prep of the RTV sealed gasket areas. Proof that recall repairs are never 'just the same as factory'. LOL

The thermostat and neck is wedged tightly under the intake (throttle plate or whatever term you like)

The timing chain cover in thin and huge.

The 8speed transmission is fairly looong. And to everyones delight I didnt see a dipstick.... Have fun doing a series of bizarre computerized idle control modes with your bootleg GM software to a certain atf temp and a vacuum line over fill tube fill check procedure for your drain amd fills... I could be wrong.

They use an interesting non-contact wheel allignment system.

It all looks utterly disposable.

I smell a Mustang suckoff

If you buy a V6 muscle car you're a tool anyway. For all I care they could make the short block out of plastic. I only care about the V8.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Saw the "How its Made" show on the Camaro with the Romulus V6 and 8 speed auto slushbox.

Observations, largely not stellar:
The cylinder walls are very thick looking with very narrow and small coolant passages.

They do a special plasma prep of the RTV sealed gasket areas. Proof that recall repairs are never 'just the same as factory'. LOL

The thermostat and neck is wedged tightly under the intake (throttle plate or whatever term you like)

The timing chain cover in thin and huge.

The 8speed transmission is fairly looong. And to everyones delight I didnt see a dipstick.... Have fun doing a series of bizarre computerized idle control modes with your bootleg GM software to a certain atf temp and a vacuum line over fill tube fill check procedure for your drain amd fills... I could be wrong.

They use an interesting non-contact wheel allignment system.

It all looks utterly disposable.

Thank you for your very astute observations.

Too bad it's a hideously-ugly abortion on the level of a puce Aztek with orange polka dots and a lavender green shag carpet interior with lime green seats.

The Fast and Loud guys were allowed to build a COPO Camaro at the GM facility where they are built to order. It was an interesting show.

Looks great on the outside, 3.6 V6 has what 335 hp, the Camaro now comes standard with a 4cyl. The V6 is a $1495 option. My only hesitation with it would be the outward visibility. And not sure I'd want to drive it in the winter around here. It's one step down from the vette. One of the guys on another car forum traded in his 2013 vette for a Camaro and he retired from BMW. This was on the Accord forum.

The 2.0 4cyl turbo is the standard engine now and has 275 hp but requires premium fuel. The Malibu base comes with a 1.5 turbo and the optional engine in that is the 2.0 turbo. More specs here:

http://www.cars.com/chevrolet/camaro/2017/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Looks great on the outside, 3.6 V6 has what 335 hp, the Camaro now comes standard with a 4cyl. The V6 is a $1495 option. My only hesitation with it would be the outward visibility. And not sure I'd want to drive it in the winter around here. It's one step down from the vette. One of the guys on another car forum traded in his 2013 vette for a Camaro and he retired from BMW. This was on the Accord forum.

The 2.0 4cyl turbo is the standard engine now and has 275 hp but requires premium fuel. The Malibu base comes with a 1.5 turbo and the optional engine in that is the 2.0 turbo. More specs here:

http://www.cars.com/chevrolet/camaro/2017/

The hot setup is available in the SS with the 6.2l and a six speed manual, and a Z28 version will happen soon.

But personally I like the hot lil V6. You can get a complete imitation SS package that gives you the wheels, tires, and brakes just like an SS. I'm betting with mild mods that V6 will have 350-400 excellent little ponies for fun and good mileage, too!

Originally Posted By: horse123
I smell a Mustang suckoff

If you buy a V6 muscle car you're a tool anyway. For all I care they could make the short block out of plastic. I only care about the V8.

Totally disagree with the V-8 thing, and beauty has always been within the eyes of the beerholder. The sixes now are amazing. I really like the idea of a good looking car that goes fast, handles well and gets good mileage to boot. The 4 and 6 also distributes weight a little better.

A 4 cylinder "muscle car" makes you look like even more of a moron going through his mid life crisis but can't afford a real car.

All the manufacturers should build little sports cars instead of having a 4 cylinder option in a muscle car.

It'd be like Ferrari releasing a $40,000 sports car with an I4... you just don't do it. It's not OK.

If someone wants V6 power in a performance car, why not the Cadillac ATS-V or ATS-4 instead of a Camaro?
Which is faster at the track, V6 Camaro or Cadillac?

Originally Posted By: horse123
A 4 cylinder "muscle car" makes you look like even more of a moron going through his mid life crisis but can't afford a real car.

All the manufacturers should build little sports cars instead of having a 4 cylinder option in a muscle car.

It'd be like Ferrari releasing a $40,000 sports car with an I4... you just don't do it. It's not OK.

In my opinion, Ferrari is in decline since their utilization of turbos is, in essence, them doing exactly that.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
a thinly disguised rant about GM.

The new Camaro is truly an awesome driver. For anyone who actually drives one...

It is not a Holden based vehicle anymore?

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
why not the Cadillac ATS-V or ATS-4 instead of a Camaro?

Because an ATS-V starts at $63,000 and a V6 Camaro starts at $28,000? I mean, that's just a guess...

Originally Posted By: HotDog15
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
a thinly disguised rant about GM.

The new Camaro is truly an awesome driver. For anyone who actually drives one...

It is not a Holden based vehicle anymore?

No.

I think the only Holden based GM in the US is the Chevy SS which is a LHD Commodore. The Caprice Police Car is a Commodore as well, but it is only for fleet sales.

I like the new Camaros, but I would only get a V8.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

That's the only way a muscle car should be equipped.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

That's the only way a muscle car should be equipped.

this.... and a MANUAL trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back