Fishing reel drag grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Garcia reels that have multiple drag washers, grease is not used on them. Grease is for the gears. I use gun grease for the gears. I have repaired many 5000 to 6500 series Garcia reels, and not one of them called for grease to be on the drags. If the drag washers get saturated with grease or oil, the drag system won't work right. Hate it when I have a 20 pound fish on, and the drag starts skipping and grabbing.

Never worked on those big deep sea fishing reels, so they may be totally different.

Ht100s and the newer abus have carbon drag washers and some can be greased. I am referring to something like cal grease. I have abus that would just get jerky when in contact with oil or grease, had to clean it all up.

Originally Posted By: bernau
Ht100s and the newer abus have carbon drag washers and some can be greased. I am referring to something like cal grease. I have abus that would just get jerky when in contact with oil or grease, had to clean it all up.

I'm old school Penn and Diawa saltwater reels. Grease on the drag of one of them will make for a bad day of fishing. When I finish using them they get a good washing, and all pressure is released from the drag, no grease on the drag ever. Times are changing though.

To answer your question I don't know what's in Cal's and Shimano drag grease. I've used both and they are definitely great products. I've been using TW25B recently on my drag washers and gears and I must say that the reels have never been smoother.

You can use marine wheel bearing grease on everything. It will reduce your castability and free spool but your gears and bearings will thank you if you hook a freight train.

Last edited:
FWIW, Shimano uses calcium-based grease on their bike stuff that is made by Eni/Agip, it's light in body but sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back