Windows 10 doesn't work on dial up speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new Dell lap top several months ago and I have yet been able to use it. I'm still on dial-up out in the boonies. We don't have high speed access out here other than dishes. The problem is this computer is CONSTANTLY up-dating and the files must be massive so massive its virtually impossible to update. I have to drive 30 mins to town where a friend has fiber optic to up-date. Is there anyway to turn off the updating? Thanks

I'd like to know the answer to that as well. I've held off going from W7 specifically because I read that you can't shut off the update function.

Your new Dell may have sit inside a store for a long while, before you purchased it. It needs a good connection to update and those updates may take some time.

Wear some patience and see how it operates after completion of it's updates. Getting those updates done on a high-speed connection is the best route to take..

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Originally Posted By: blupupher
You can turn off updates on specific connections.

Link on how to do it.
thanks!
Ok that worked! thanks...this site actually loads pretty good on dial-up. I try and stick to text forums or sites that are mostly text with few graphics.

It doesn't appear to affect the Update policy but does effect some other settings I had set. Good thing I haven't updated yet. Ill wait until someone fixes it or comes out with a workaround.
Still too limiting to use only Linux for me at this point in time, though I have a tower with Gentoo on it ready for me to use. Larger selection of games and software on Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back