Wonder if anyone with NASCAR has noticed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nascar died for me with the COT. If it ain't factory sheet metal, it ain't stock cars...

Just a spec race now and who wants to watch that? Yeah, they have talented drivers. But all the stock has gone out of it, so, so have I ...

Originally Posted By: sunruh
at the german motogp they raced in the rain

2 wheels

the windshield does not protect your helmet

no wipers on the helmets

1:44 laps times
yet nascar wont race in the rain and yet motorcycles do!

Racing on an oval in the rain isn't safe period. They have done it in the NASCAR Euro series, but the oval was not a very high speed affair. Goodyear makes rain tires for the Cup races at Sonoma and Watkins Glen, as well as the XFinity races at Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, and Road America.

Just read where someone suggested that they're using the wrong racetrack at IMS for NASCAR... that they should be running the Brickyard 400 on the road course instead.

There might just be something to that...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Just read where someone suggested that they're using the wrong racetrack at IMS for NASCAR... that they should be running the Brickyard 400 on the road course instead.

There might just be something to that...

I would agree. IMS is a great track for Indy cars, not so much for stock cars.

The Chase and every "improvement" has chased me away from watching NASCAR. I used to watch all the time, now a few laps of a few races a year.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Nascar died for me with the COT.

Bingo!

Bring back actual factory sheetmetal, use factory drive trains, factory aerodynamics.
Just like it was when NASCAR was fun.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
Bring back actual factory sheetmetal, use factory drive trains, factory aerodynamics.
Just like it was when NASCAR was fun.

They won't because it was too dangerous. If many of the wrecks today happened with factory stock frames with roll cages welded in like they had in the 60's, the drivers would not have survived, let alone walked away. Austin Dillon's Daytona crash comes to mind. Where the engine was completely ripped out of the car, which was torn in two. Factory vehicles are designed to withstand impacts from highway speeds, (65 MPH). Not 200+ MPH racing impacts. Hard wrecks at those speeds would be suicide.

I don't have the patience to watch four hours of cars driving in circles. Most races I pop on for the last half hour because between the lucky dog free pass and regular cautions there is just no reason to watch the first 80% of a race.

I suspect track attendance is similar. Why spend a lot of money to battle traffic and camp in a field for the weekend when you can sleep in your own bed, catch the important parts on TV and still have 90% of your weekend free for family/mowing the lawn/napping on the couch.

This is why they don't run factory sheet metal. Brad Keselowski had a brake failure going into turn 1 at Watkins Glen in testing today. I guarantee if this had not been a properly built car, he would not have survived.

Im fine with the purpose built chassis and engines. What sucks is that the body's are all the same. They should all run at least the factory fascia like they did in the 80's-90's. If their is an aero advantage to one make, big deal let the crew chiefs figure out a way around it. Nascar should also let the teams run whatever shock, spring and rear gear package they want.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Im fine with the purpose built chassis and engines. What sucks is that the body's are all the same. They should all run at least the factory fascia like they did in the 80's-90's. If their is an aero advantage to one make, big deal let the crew chiefs figure out a way around it. Nascar should also let the teams run whatever shock, spring and rear gear package they want.

They do. The Fusion, Chevy SS, and Camry front ends all come from the respective manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: whip
The Chase and every "improvement" has chased me away from watching NASCAR. I used to watch all the time, now a few laps of a few races a year.

exactly!

how doe someone that misses 1/3rd the races become the champion?

They may have the basic shape, but they are all the same fascia with only the decals being different.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

They do. The Fusion, Chevy SS, and Camry front ends all come from the respective manufacturers.

This is the last time NASCAR ran anything close to a "stock" car. This is what they should get back to. They can have all the safety improvements of the modern chassis but, still retain the original body shape and dimensions of each make and model.

This is the last time NASCAR ran anything close to a "stock" car. This is what they should get back to. They can have all the safety improvements of the modern chassis but, still retain the original body shape and dimensions of each make and model.

Looks like 1984 or so.
Oh, for the good old days.

Another reason for not retaining factory body shapes is aerodynamics. Today's NASCAR body shapes have to be designed to avoid having the tendency to "fly" wherever possible. Especially when they get turned around at 200+ MPH. Factory body shapes are designed to sell by way of good looking styling. Not to avoid flying at 200 MPH speeds. All of this started when Bobby Allison's car almost made it into the stands, "back in the day". There were no such things back then as roof flaps, restrictor plates, and everything else employed today to prevent such things from happening. And yet they still do.

Remember, if a car ever gets loose in the stands, hundreds will be killed. And hundreds more severely injured. That would bring about law suits that would end NASCAR as we know it forever. Then people will really be able to look back at, "the good old days".

You can incorporate roof flaps and all the other safety improvements and still keep the basic shape. You can also slow the cars down and make the races more competitive. Going to the common front fascia has little to do with safety and more to do with not having to change the front splitter every week because one manufacturer would complain that the other had an advantage.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Another reason for not retaining factory body shapes is aerodynamics. Today's NASCAR body shapes have to be designed to avoid having the tendency to "fly" wherever possible. Especially when they get turned around at 200+ MPH. Factory body shapes are designed to sell by way of good looking styling. Not to avoid flying at 200 MPH speeds. All of this started when Bobby Allison's car almost made it into the stands, "back in the day". There were no such things back then as roof flaps, restrictor plates, and everything else employed today to prevent such things from happening. And yet they still do.

Remember, if a car ever gets loose in the stands, hundreds will be killed. And hundreds more severely injured. That would bring about law suits that would end NASCAR as we know it forever. Then people will really be able to look back at, "the good old days".

From the early 80's to late 90's produced some of the most competitive racing NASCAR has ever seen. You really think all these rules like lucky Dog, Pit Road speeds, etc have actually made racing better? And it is still only JGR, Hendrick, Penske winning the majority of the races. So, the only reason more cars on the lead lap now is that these teams have expanded the number of cars they hav on the track.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I love when people talk about the good old days in NASCAR when at the end of the race there were 2 cars on the lead lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back