Choosing oil with both CJ4 and SN specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the pros and cons of using a API CJ4/SN specced oil (I am looking at a 5w30) compared to a normal 5w30 SN oil?

Is it a better or a worse oil for a standard gasoline car?

What makes a CJ4/SN oil better/worse than standard SN oil?

Are you talking about using a HDEO instead of PCMO? In that case, you might lose 0.01% mpg since the HDEO is probably not rated ILSAC GF-5.

I have used HDEO quite a bit in one of our vehicles with no issues. Some say it cleans better, some say the additives are specific to diesel soot. I don't know.

Typically a CJ4/SN oil is an HDDEO which means the additive concentrations (mostly dispersants) are much higher. The CJ-4 (and soon to be CK-4) oils have a completely different set of engine test requirements and so the formulating approach is different. A HDDEO will typically have a DI which is 15-20% and a PCMO will be 6-9%. When an HDDEO is dual rated that means it also passes all of the required engine tests for SN - however it does not meet the "Resource conserving" requirements including fuel economy benefits and phosphorus retention. In some cases the limits on Phosphorus are also waived for CJ-4 oils so you may see one with more than 800 ppm phos still claim SN. This is not good for the catalytic converter and has been removed from the CK-4 formula (all CK-4/SN oils will have to have 800ppm phos max.)

The primary role of dual rated HDDEO is for mixed fleet use - where a fleet manager doesn't want to carry 2 oils for each engine type.
I wouldn't say that one is better/worse than the other, they are just different.

So a dual ch4/an oil will be less fuel efficient and can be disastrous for the catcon.

Is it good for the longetivity of the engine? Is there an advantage for gaoline engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back