Golf R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Again, you are off-base ranting.

You rant like the GTI/R ONLY comes in a DSG version. It has an available 6 speed manual, just like your genesis. Why not rant against Hyundai for their soul-robbing 8spd auto? You know, the one offered in your coupe?

I do not get where your rants even stem from.

Did I sputter? I talked explicitly about the manual and the performance difference with the DSG vs GTI DSG. I justed used a automatic-to-automatic comparison. But no one is buying the automatic for the "speed" in the Gennies. They are for those who do not want to be bothered with shifting. Becomes a budget GT car/Cruiser. Hyundai went out of their way for the R-Spec to appease the enthusiast, (manual only trim, track-day for under $30). I get the existence of automatics, but not as a performance feature in a not-cheap compact.

What is the Golf R? It is not cheap. Not fast for the pricepoint, not a luxury model or badge, not well appointed for the price (cough-Audi), not a ground-up performance-oriented machine, and it is not the old R32.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I think if I understand correctly its more based on a price to performance issue. He's saying why spend 40k on a golf when a 35k camaro will spank it around a track. I kind of get the argument, as I'm mostly about "cheap speed" myself. I bought a dodge caliber SRT-4 recently as a daily driver and bit of a toy, so obviously I'm in tune to performance per dollar. I could even say that my Caliber has the same power as the Golf R, and with a tune pretty close acceleration numbers (roughly same 1/4 times). But I am under no illusion they're even in the same league of car. My Mustang would out do a stock golf R in the 1/4 mile also (Ran a 13.2 with poor tires *racer excuse*), but lets be real, my Mustang is a 2 door plastic box with a truck engine compared to something like the golf R.

Part of what you're paying for with the VW is simply engineering. Reviewers have been saying it forever, the GTI/R are usually best in class. Resale value is typically high on them (not now due to dieselgate, but it will return I'm sure). If SOLELY basing a cars worth on its straight line performance, sure the Golf R is far from the best out the gate. Same could be said for the lower end 3 series BMWs. But a Golf R is a 4 door hatch, with a great AWD system, that also happens to be pretty darn capable. I'm not sure I'd pay 40k for it, but that seems to be right about the price for a car like that.

The auto vs manual debate seems to be mostly personal preference.

Yes, the auto vs manual is personal. I view the "my DSG is faster" as an anti-enthusiast (again, putting the hot hatch at odds with its goals).

However you are talking about a performance "Golf", that is in essence, "cheap speed". 40K negates the "cheap". $40K speed is a whole different ball-game. When you are talking 40K the list of fast cars jumps... and we start talking V8s, year old Vettes, some M badges/marketing, and even the odd addition from Stuttgart. At that point, the only reason to own the Golf R is if you desperately and nonobjectively want/need to own a Golf (and then why not a cheaper one).

Good point about the "best in class'. And maybe this is my issue with VW as a whole (I am trying to figure it out). "Best in class" when you cost +10/20/30% more than the "other guys" just does not sit right for me. I did not find the base-model GTI all that "class leading". Actually the "cheap" VWs seem like punishment items designed to upsell. Maybe when I compare, I compare across price-range rather than "subcompact/compact/midsize/whatever". Classes are arbitrary. In once instance (due to government regs) you could claim the old Cadillac DTS and Honda Accord in the same "class". Not really. So for me, it is about the pricepoint that Thus VW often gets tossed out of its "advantage" for me Wwhen it can't face-off against cheaper cars to say you are getting more, they why?. Sometimes I have the same argument against Honda. You are offering more, but you are charging more as well. I can see Toyota charging more for the perception tha they last longer but that is definitely NOT the case with VW. So the argument against the FWD hot hatch Ford ST vs GTI is that the GTI is offering more "comfort" for the performance... but at the same time, you are charging more and you then open yourself up to those more "luxury" brands. If you are not cheap speed, and are not luxury, how do you justify the price?

VW is higher quality than Ford and Subaru.

"German"

German engineered cars drive differently and have a different feel than Japanese and American. This is why they can and do and have charged a "premium" for their "low-end" cars. The lowly $18k base model Golf shares the chassis and some other bits with the A3. What's a Subaru WRX share its chassis with? A lessor, economy car. (you could say the same for the A3, with this argument) (honestly I'm not sure if the WRX is still sharing or just based on the Impreza chassis, just guessing)

You literally hate VWs. Why am I not surprised you were able to nit-pick apart the GTI test drive? You're more happy with the Genesis - that's great - but an overwhelming number of car reviewers seem to side on GTI over WRX, in many comparisons over the years.

I've always thought of VWs as unreliable and expensive for long-term ownership and not high enough MPGs. After riding in a couple, I always noted how well they held up over the years, and felt way more "solid" than other cars in their class. Throw in the dieselgate discount, a new, efficient 1.8T, and I'm a 2016 VW owner. Long-term reliability to be seen.

I feel like the base VWs are optioned well, too, and you can add plenty if wanted. I don't see the value in that, and will put up a base TSI S Golf vs any base model Civic, Mazda3, Corolla, etc. Again, the "German" sets them apart. That's why they've always been a bit more expensive. When the built the Jetta to a lower price point, it was a horrible car. They're not good at shooting for the bottom.

I totally agree that the R is overpriced and people who buy them, want a fast VW and not a faster ___. I don't see the point in one, either. Now a Sportwagen R, would be awesome to bring to the US, but that would make too much sense.

VW is higher quality than Ford and Subaru.

"German"

German engineered cars drive differently and have a different feel than Japanese and American. This is why they can and do and have charged a "premium" for their "low-end" cars. The lowly $18k base model Golf shares the chassis and some other bits with the A3. What's a Subaru WRX share its chassis with? A lessor, economy car. (you could say the same for the A3, with this argument) (honestly I'm not sure if the WRX is still sharing or just based on the Impreza chassis, just guessing)

Now, that is absolute horse [self censored] claiming that VW is "higher quality" than Subaru. Why: define quality. That is pure VW marketing. You can say that VW is has a better appointed interior IN SOME TRIMS than the "agricultural" Subaru (base to base, the Subarus are likely better but fall behind on mid-upper tier trims), but where VW invests on "polish" Subaru invests in the internal engineering. Granted, Subaru is consider lucky to have an average interior but they are playing to a more utilitarian customer base. Meanwhile VW seems to invest on the polish and forgets to tie wires together for figure out DI deposits. VW can build some nice touch-point tissue paper.

That is why VW advertises 100K

And Subaru doubles down

Ford, I consider VW and Ford equals and for the most part when you compare the larger manufacturers, the differences can be razor thin as they are engineered . Ford offers cheaper domestic items state-side but their high-end Ford badged products are equals to VW equivalents. You can point to US vs European differences/preferences in the use of plastics but that is not the end-all "quality" argument. At the end of the day, you have to compare likely equipped models at similar pricepoints. I would give that edge to Ford and

You literally hate VWs. Why am I not surprised you were able to nit-pick apart the GTI test drive? You're more happy with the Genesis - that's great - but an overwhelming number of car reviewers seem to side on GTI over WRX, in many comparisons over the years.

Argumentum ad populum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

And I also disagree with a lot reviews using press-cars. Often they are bloated messes of excess if you are not careful. Take Car and Driver that lists the GTI as #1 vs WRX as #6
VW GTI
Quote:
$34,260-as-tested hatchback

WRX
Quote:
PRICE AS TESTED: $30,000

FoST
Quote:
$30,945

FiST: $22,300

At the end of the day, the FiST is out-doing the GTI based on what the GTI did well when it was launched. Yeah, Ford is building the better "GTI".

I've always thought of VWs as unreliable and expensive for long-term ownership and not high enough MPGs. After riding in a couple, I always noted how well they held up over the years, and felt way more "solid" than other cars in their class. Throw in the dieselgate discount, a new, efficient 1.8T, and I'm a 2016 VW owner. Long-term reliability to be seen.

I feel like the base VWs are optioned well, too, and you can add plenty if wanted. I don't see the value in that, and will put up a base TSI S Golf vs any base model Civic, Mazda3, Corolla, etc. Again, the "German" sets them apart. That's why they've always been a bit more expensive. When the built the Jetta to a lower price point, it was a horrible car. They're not good at shooting for the bottom.

I totally agree that the R is overpriced and people who buy them, want a fast VW and not a faster ___. I don't see the point in one, either. Now a Sportwagen R, would be awesome to bring to the US, but that would make too much sense.

"German = Marketing" They are built in Mexico. Same can be said about a lot of makes but at then end of the day, you do not see someone going "National Quality" about brands/makes in Mexican. I am not a big "made in X" person as the assembly line is not drunk, just about anywhere can build a decent car is it is designed well.

As for a 4-door TSI S against others, you start $1,000-$2,000 more than others (ranted the 2-door is cheaper if you can find them). The (better) Mazda3 5-door is cheaper. Better MPG. Better driving dynamics. Granted, the iM is cheaper too, barely and "Toyota Quality" blitzes VW. The Ford is $1,000 less. Granted, VW allows you to up-sell you models more, but if you want to being in "reviews" the VW "penalty box" ie the base models are know to be extremely spartan. Still, at the end of the day, the manufacturing and price-point for manufactures are not gigantic brand-to-brand. They all have about the same $X they can invest into a vehicle (unless you are FCA) and it is more about where a company invests their $X. For VW, all I can see is that they invest a lot into "polish". If you view polish as "quality" then fine... but that is why I question that. A $35K VW will have "better" than other $25K-$30K cars but then you need to compare it to other $35K pricerange vehicles.

Last edited:
Futuredoc, I agree with you on 95% of your thoughts on the current state of VW, but it's time to rest your case. Sometimes less is more. At this point, everyone has either gotten your point or are thoroughly confused by the pontification. The horse died two threads ago. Didn't they teach you in grad school about parsimony and making things as simple as possible (but not simpler)?

And btw, change the screen name. You are a smart guy and I respect your opinions but the name "futuredoc" puts a dbag barrier that people have to leap before taking you seriously. You are working against yourself here.

I'd pick up a Golf R in a heartbeat. In fact it's going to be my next car after my GTI. Stage 1 tune for $600 gets the car a 3.6-3.8 second 0-60. That's pretty impressive for a FWD car.

I don't know why some of you are so wrapped up on the assembled in Mexico fact. The design is world class. They engineering is as good as it gets. Before the diesel cheat thing, VW was on track to exceed Toyota for #1 in world volume. That gets you one amazing engineering budget.

Cars are put together from a world wide parts bin today anyway. Do they make everything in Puebla Mexico? No. Working at the VW plant is one of the best jobs in the whole region for the people down there. I would trust them doing a good job over some lazy american who cries that they only get $60 an hour in total compensation value.

They have a literal city dedicated to building VWs. With the low wages, they can spend billions on state of the art manufacturing equipment. Its the robots that put stuff together today anyway.

I received my Golf in an un dealer prepped fashion right off a transport truck and its flawless.

My previous, also mexican, 99.5 Jetta TDI lived a nearly flawless 320k mile life before i went and modded it all up.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I don't know why some of you are so wrapped up on the assembled in Mexico fact. The design is world class. They engineering is as good as it gets. Before the diesel cheat thing, VW was on track to exceed Toyota for #1 in world volume. That gets you one amazing engineering budget.

Isnt it true that the Golf R (and Focus RS) are actually built IN germany? I did always think it was a little weird getting a "german" car made in mexico, but at the same time I'm fairly certain the Hemi in my Jeep was made in mexico.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
And btw, change the screen name. You are a smart guy and I respect your opinions but the name "futuredoc" puts a dbag barrier that people have to leap before taking you seriously. You are working against yourself here.

The "FutureDoc" nickname has nothing to do with my education? It was "coined" at a bluegrass event in a small SWVa town before I even started my doctoral work.

About a decade ago, I was about to marry my wife. Her father is "Doc". Her mother is "Mrs. Doc", and she is "Little Doc". Being the future-son-in-law, his pickin' buddies start to call me "Future-Doc". It stuck and I have kept it since. It was more ironic once I started the PhD process. My prior screen names referenced Datsun Zs (which I no longer have). I am more than willing to explain when asked and it is often available on most boards.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

The "FutureDoc" nickname has nothing to do with my education? It was "coined" at a bluegrass event in a small SWVa town before I even started my doctoral work.

About a decade ago, I was about to marry my wife. Her father is "Doc". Her mother is "Mrs. Doc", and she is "Little Doc". Being the future-son-in-law, his pickin' buddies start to call me "Future-Doc". It stuck and I have kept it since. It was more ironic once I started the PhD process. My prior screen names referenced Datsun Zs (which I no longer have). I am more than willing to explain when asked and it is often available on most boards.

Fair enough. But most other folks on a forum aren't going to know the background story on the name.

But if you are cool with the occasionally ribbing then it's all good.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I don't know why some of you are so wrapped up on the assembled in Mexico fact.

If the VW was made in Germany, then I could see the 10%+ bump in the cost of the vehicle. That is fine, and then I could wrap my head around the VW premium. I would "get" VW's approach better. The Honda Fit used to be a Japanese-made car and I could justify their premium asking price compared to other small hatches. However moving the production to Mexico and then keeping the price as a premium segment price, that is the problem. Anywhere can (potentially) build a quality car, and I have very little issue with globalized production. Heck, very few thing are as international as "engineering". Just do not advertise "German" build quality or engineering when it is not necessarily German.

Way back when I was doing some automaker advertising, we found out that the brand with the most "American-referencing" commercials was... Toyota. This was a few years ago but it was interesting to line up various brands and see Toyota trying to out "Murica!" everyone else.

Fair enough. But most other folks on a forum aren't going to know the background story on the name.

But if you are cool with the occasionally ribbing then it's all good.

I know, I don't hold that against them. All is fine. I don't toss my "title" around in most settings. The only time I drag it up is with other "Docs" who might try and pull "rank". I left academia to do more hands-on work and would rather solve a fleet efficiency issue than deal with publishing (plus I graduated relatively young for a PH.D. -not recommended). I found out that I was a better worker-bee grad student than tenure-track grinder. It is fun at times. Heck my lead mechanic I work with has a masters degree. We will have our theoretical debates all the time.

Sounds like a fun job for people into cars. That's funny about PhDs trying to pull rank with each other. My wife has a PhD and I've seen that happen too. The worst are the ones that got their PhD from some podunk program with half the work done online.

Oops not sure what I was thinking, I know the Golf R is AWD. Still impressive for a 2.0 liter Turbo.

Sounds like a fun job for people into cars. That's funny about PhDs trying to pull rank with each other. My wife has a PhD and I've seen that happen too. The worst are the ones that got their PhD from some podunk program with half the work done online.

It can be at times.

Academics are very hierarchical. And the more "equality focused" they get, the worse it was. For us, it was a quiet secret that the social-justice/living wage advocate paid her graduate students the least per hour. Transportation was the money-maker if you could do the math.

Yes the Golf R still comes with that W vin. As does the Focus RS, that is part of why they are so expensive, rare, and selling for MSRP+ prices.

"The Group operates 119 production plants in 20 European countries and a further 11 countries in the Americas, Asia and Africa. Every weekday, 610,076 employees worldwide produce nearly 42,000 vehicles, and work in vehicle-related services or other fields of business. The Volkswagen Group sells its vehicles in 153 countries."

VW builds stuff literally everywhere. (maybe not Antartica) However, they design everything in Germany. VW has been building in Puebla Mexico for over 50 years. They are not some new kids in town like Honda and its Fit.

I once owned a 1988 Vw Jetta Gli 16v built in Wolfsburg Germany instead of normal Mexico.

Back then Vw body parts were actually had slightly different precision in terms of things like windshield frame dimensions. The Mexican ones were slightly smaller.

So on windshield replacement they leaked like mad due to gaps in my German built Jetta. Finally a glass place I returned 5 times ate the cost of ordering Oem glass made in Germany and it fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back