Mobil 1 0w40 for 2013 4.8 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would using this oil cause a problem in my 2013 4.8 V8? I'm just curious if it will quiet down its occasionally noisy lifters that I hear with 5w30 Mobil 1. The 100 viscosity is 12.9, which is barely more than the upper tolerance for 5w30. Can anyone thing of a reason why this would be harmful to the engine? The only thing I worry about are the cam phasers for VVT. You think I'd be okay?

Is not having that ILSAC GF-5 designation a go home foul?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Would using this oil cause a problem in my 2013 4.8 V8? I'm just curious if it will quiet down its occasionally noisy lifters that I hear with 5w30 Mobil 1. The 100 viscosity is 12.9, which is barely more than the upper tolerance for 5w30. Can anyone thing of a reason why this would be harmful to the engine? The only thing I worry about are the cam phasers for VVT. You think I'd be okay?

Is not having that ILSAC GF-5 designation a go home foul?

Damaging? No.

It "could" change the phase timing somewhat when brand new (doubt it) but - no.

You wont damage it.

UD

Originally Posted By: abycat
Try pyb 5w30. Or pp 5w30 if you want to use a syn. I would cut open the filter you are using and check it out as well.

PYB would be a bad choice due to that its not Dexos specced. Atleast use pennzoil gold. I wouldn't see a problem using M1 0W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back