Suggest an experiment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Drain all coolant, flush, then let air dry. Fill radiator with atf or motor oil. See if the heat transfer capability of oil is good enough to properly cool the engine.

Like that one...it was one of my imaginary "dry sump" set ups when I was 19-20...tapping the Holden 6 oil pump discarge into the block, and a crank (snout) mounted pump from the water pump to the galleries.

starting turtlevette's setup in cold weather.....

If you get a Fiat 500 or some other tiny cube car the girls like - ram it with a barely running 1 ton ...
(10 mph would likely do it in)
Folks are buying these things for being "cute" - but that won't be pretty ... might just save a life right there ...

Everything I read on BITOG, engine oil flushes shouldn't be done. Since you don't care about these cars, do tests to find out which flushes work, and which ruin the engine. For example, fill the crankcase with diesel oil and idle for a half hour. Then drain, new filter and oil, and run. Be creative.

Find the worst sludge monster in the yard. Drain the oil if it has much. Remove the oil filter and connect a remote dual (or quad) oil filter setup with a differential pressure gauge. Or just spin on the biggest filter you can. Fill the crankcase with the test cleaner. I'm thinking 1 part diesel, 1 part MMO, 1 part toluene and 2 parts Valvoline VR1. Run the engine at fast idle and watch that the oil filters don't go into bypass and that the engine doesn't lose oil pressure.

For best visibility of cleaning results I'd use something that's easy to pull a valve cover for before and after shots. Maybe something that's also easy to pull the oil pan. You might just be able to take something that's sludged and smoking to something serviceable.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
Everything I read on BITOG, engine oil flushes shouldn't be done. Since you don't care about these cars, do tests to find out which flushes work, and which ruin the engine. For example, fill the crankcase with diesel oil and idle for a half hour. Then drain, new filter and oil, and run. Be creative.

Been there, done that, but it was literally packed with sludge, which I suppose thickened the diesel up VERY quickly.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I would love to hear how long one would run on 90wt gear oil, and how long one would run on auto Trans fluid.

Another vote for the gear oil, just drain it out of a few rear diff's and use that.
If you have a diesel, use gear oil for lube and used ATF for fuel.

Another thing I have always wondered is would a v8 start if you had a few plugs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back