Ford 4.6 with Supercharger, 2,000 mi. / yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ford 4.6 with a Trilogy supercharger (Roots-type, based on Eaton 112).
I will push it occasionally when I drive it, but I only drive this car 1,000 - 2,000 mi. / yr., 3-seasons.
I normally use 5W30 oil.

Which strategy do you recommend ?

1. Use PYB conventional and change it every year on an annual schedule, instead of a mileage-based OCI, OR -

2. Use PP / PU syn and change it every 3 - 4 years.

3. Other (Please explain)

Thank you in advance
smile.gif

Of your options I would choose to use PYB every year, number 2. I'm not a three-month-three-K-er but three years on a crankcase of oil doesn't sit well with me.

I'm assuming this is a nice car...super charged Mustang or something and you're considering going three years between oil changes? Why?

[censored] I know people that would put the PP in it for the one year service interval and change it twice. It's $30 bucks at Walmart with a filter.

And can we stop it with the [censored], stuff?? The word I used was H E double hockey sticks...what the [censored]?

Last edited:
Honestly, I would use PP/PU and change it yearly. Change it at the end of the driving seasons (assuming you put her away for winter).

I think like DoubleBase is saying, why run the cheapest possible oil, and stretch it out years in a car you can change the oil on for $30? I change my Mustangs yearly and that's all it costs. Also, are these miles all short trips? I'm doubting its 20 runs of 100 miles, but maybe.

I'd opt for a middle of the road synthetic changed yearly myself. Or heck, even a nicer one like M1. If you watch for sales you can usually pick up some good stuff for reasonable prices.

Why skimp on a few bucks for a car like that?

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Honestly, I would use PP/PU and change it yearly. Change it at the end of the driving seasons (assuming you put her away for winter).

I think like DoubleBase is saying, why run the cheapest possible oil, and stretch it out years in a car you can change the oil on for $30? I change my Mustangs yearly and that's all it costs. Also, are these miles all short trips? I'm doubting its 20 runs of 100 miles, but maybe.

Short trips? I didn't even consider that factor, but you're 100% right.

I once owned a "toy" car like this - mid life crisis Corvette - all I did was drive it on short trips to here or there. Once in a great while it would get a decent 25 mile run on the highway, but for the most part it was 8 miles down the road for ice cream and then back into the garage it went. I changed the oil twice a year with Mobil 1, I didn't really care that it was a waste. The car was my baby for two years until I realized - that for me anyway - it wasn't all that fun having a car that I worried about all the time, parked in a garage and babied. I suppose I could have "enjoyed it" if I acted differently, but for some reason I just couldn't. Weird.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Synthetic every year. Don't be a cheap a$$.

^ I agree. You got a nice car (I'm assuming), so why not just change it once a year with a synthetic of your choice, since you got forced induction, and sleep well at night? I would go with Mobil 1 0w40 1yr/5k miles, whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: milkboy
I will push it occasionally when I drive it, but I only drive this car 1,000 - 2,000 mi. / yr., 3-seasons.
I normally use 5W30 oil.

1. Use PYB conventional and change it every year on an annual schedule, instead of a mileage-based OCI, OR -

Thank you in advance
smile.gif

What type of 4.6 is this? 2V? 3V? 4V?

I vote for Castrol Edge 5W30, changed annually. I've had a stellar UOA with it after track time and daily driving.

I wouldn't go any heavier than a 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Originally Posted By: milkboy
I normally use 5W30 oil.

Thank you in advance
smile.gif

What type of 4.6 is this? 2V? 3V? 4V?

I vote for Castrol Edge 5W30, changed annually. I've had a stellar UOA with it after track time and daily driving.

I wouldn't go any heavier than a 5W30.

Good point, my fault. It's a 32v DOHC.

To everyone advising PP/PU on a one year OCI, you are a bunch of enablers
blush.gif

That is what I'd like to do, but I feel guilty in the fall if I drop 6 qts of PU, knowing that it's only at a fraction of it's utility.
It really isn't about $30 /yr., it just seems wasteful.

Hence the question - I would think PYB (or anything, really) would be adequate on such a low-mileage OCI, and I'd feel [less] wasteful,
or leave the PU in over the winter and get another year (or two) out of it.

I dump my 4.6 sump in fall. I could careless how many miles is on the oil. I don't want dirty oil in an engine as it sits over winter. I'm good to go in the spring.

Ive been using Valvoline Maxlife 5W30 on my Mustang which i also only drive about 2K a year. Maxlife has helped with a small leak. I Have some Castrol Edge 5W50 and 0W40 that i bought on clearance that im going to use next OCI, Im going to leave it in for 2 Years.

I always figured that a supercharged Mustang would take whatever an unmodified Ford Lightning or Mustang Terminator would take.

Anybody have a Ford Lightning or Mustang Terminator?

Anyway, I am used to people using M1 0w40 and Shell RT6 5w40 in forced induction apps and getting great results in the UOA section.

Change the oil often. Syn, Conventional? Probably you would never see a difference unless you track the car. I would imagine you couldn't hold wot very long before running out of road [quickly]. .I would suggest a used oil analysis to see the level of fuel dilution, then decide to increase the oil change interval. The price of the analysis is close to an oil change so change the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back