Chevy Cavalier ATF Change - What fluid is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!
I'm pretty much an over-thinker and I've been researching the best ATF to put into this vehicle.

Now, here is background -- it is a Chevy Cavalier. High mileage. 180,000.
It has no mechanical issues.
Back in November, I hit a deer with my Mitsubishi Eclipse.
I then got this car from my Gram (who passed).
On day one in November, it shifted weirdly from first to second. I didn't think anything of it.

Perfect shifting, no slips, etc. until last week.
I was driving and stopped at a red light. I went to go forward, and it kind of clunked into gear.
It worried me.
I went home, parked it, and later returned to the car in a few hours.
I put it into drive and BANG! I put it into reverse and BANG! I parked it. Neutral didn't have a problem.
Again, returned an hour later and BANG!
And again - BANG!
Finally, I returned an hour after the third time and it shifted nicely.
The only thing that changed was I turned the AC OFF. People said it doesn't correlate... and I trust them.

Anyhow, this car has a lot of miles because of me. It started with 138,000 in November and now almost 9 months later, it is over 180,000.
I want to replace the fluid on this transmission.
It has not given me any other problem days after the banging into gear incident. I know the fluid probably hasn't been changed for a while, so I suspect this could be an issue and I can't drive anywhere knowing that the fluid in this transmission is probably garbage.

I watched a YouTube video and they suggested changing the fluid and adding Lucas Transmission Fix.
Stupid me, I bought the Lucas Transmission Fix.
I researched more and people said NO Transmission Fix. They all said ATF change with Dexron VI (it calls for Dexron III but they tell me that you must now use VI) is enough and Lucas will do nothing... if anything, just create more problems.
Is that true?

Do you recommend I return the Lucas Transmission Fix? Maybe lower the level...dump it in... drive 20 miles... and then drop and change the fluid?
I want to return it, but also wouldn't mind using it if people think it would be something like an 'extra' vitamin before changing the fluid.

Lastly, do you recommend Valvoline MaxLife ATF? OR should I go with Dexron VI strictly from the bottle?
I always see people recommending the Walmart brand of Dexron VI.
Is it okay to get 4 quarts (1 gallon) of MaxLife Multi ATF and three quarts of any Dexron VI?
Or just go strictly all Dexron VI?

I don't know which is better for a car -- MaxLife Multi ATF or Dexron VI?

Last edited:
Sounds like you were just low on fluid or leaked.Try my solution and check level oft and change in 10000 mi,after that do the same regiment and change at 20000 mi. Just keep eye on level. If you manage to save the tranny after that move to 30000 mi. If you make it after that then 50k mi is adequate.

welcome2.gif

Is this the 3-speed or 4-speed automatic?

The Walmart Dex-VI fluid is a GM approved fluid and can be used in your transmission. I switched from Dex III to Dex VI in my Cavalier transmission (4 speed)and the shifts are smoother. Maxlife would be a very good choice as well. No need to dump in any Lucas additives. Why do you want to mix MaxLife and Dexron VI? Just stick with one or the other. You could even save more money by just using Walmart ATF Dexron /Mercon. Just change it out every 30,000 miles and you will be good to go.

It is a four speed automatic.

I wanted to mix only because I over-think and was thinking if it calls for Dex, I could buy good Valvoline and then the other 3 quarts I can buy it in quart sizes of Dex. I didn't know Valvoline sold ATF in quart sizes. I went to another Walmart and they do have it, so I'd just get 1 gallon of MaxLife and then three (1) one quart sizes of MaxLife to equal the 7 I need.
So we are good with that.

Thanks for the advice!
Quick responses too, I like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rowebil
It is a four speed automatic.

Your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, but you can get an aftermarket pan that has one. Buy one of these for easier ATF changes in the future. Mixing is no problem
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: xtell
The Walmart Dex-VI fluid is a GM approved fluid and can be used in your transmission. I switched from Dex III to Dex VI in my Cavalier transmission (4 speed)and the shifts are smoother. Maxlife would be a very good choice as well. No need to dump in any Lucas additives. Why do you want to mix MaxLife and Dexron VI? Just stick with one or the other. You could even save more money by just using Walmart ATF Dexron /Mercon. Just change it out every 30,000 miles and you will be good to go.

Dev VI is the stuff for transmissions that require older Dex - works great in my Cherokee. And the superetch fluid is not only GM approved (so it's good) it is cheap enough that it's worth using.

Owning a few Cavs myself, heard that before.....

Guessing by it being a 4 speed it is a 2001-05. Would like to hope she changed it at some point before 100k...

Our 03 has regular ol'Valvoline Dex 3 now (changed around 50k). Has almost 120k now, and it is going to get Maxlife ATF in it. At this stage in the game, and the fact it has worn down a bit-I would avoid Dex VI in it. I like the fact the Maxlife will be thicker, added friction protectors, and is a full synthetic... While I am sure Dex VI will not hurt it, I would give it the extra help it needs....

Sounds like she is wearing a bit (with the banging), but with a new fill and some care, you should get some extra life out of it. Those old 4 speed autos are pretty tough and can survive....just ask my co-worker with her Sunfire with that same trans and 234k on the same engine and trans.....

Last edited:
I'd have no qualms using a Valvoline, Pennzoil, or other major brand Dex 3. The key is changing the fluid every 25K-40K miles and driving 'easy' to make the trans last. There's no magic in a Dex 6, Max Life, or anything else.

42,000 miles in 8 months!? That's 63,000 miles a year!

I'd use SuperTech ATF or Valvoline MaxLife.

MaxLife for sure. The vehicle age and mileage are pretty much exactly what MaxLife is meant for. It's great stuff.

Forget the additives.

it sounds like it may be time for some repair. Everyone's flavor of choice can't fix broken things.

If you do want to change fluid to see if it fixes or helps the problem, then do it right, and change the filter too. Top it off with the correct amount of Lubegard Red.

Did all the above to my 92 Oldsmobile over a year ago, and all is still good. My old fluid was brownish no burnt smell which is normal. My trans was still shifting fine when all the work was done.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Id drain and fill with valvoline maxlife and maybe Lubegard Red Bottle.

+1 Beat me to it. or the ST Dex VI as well. Both are good and cheaper options.

Thanks for your help everyone!
ATF is dripping into a catch-pan as I type.

It is red, which is surprising considering I don't think my Gram had it done because she got sick and always wanted me to take her car to get inspected, oil change, etc. So it's probably 60,000 miles+ on that ATF. Maybe 70,000 miles... but it's nice and red.

Let me ask you this -- I may reuse the gasket. It is beautiful, not a single crack or rip.
Is it bad to reuse the filter?

I think good advice has already been given. As far as the gasket goes I'd reuse the same one if it is a factory one (coated metal) in good shape. My 03 Cavalier (4T40E transmission... same as yours it sounds like) seemed to be be slipping or shuddering slightly while driving on the freeway a couple summers ago (over 30,000 miles ago). I dropped the pan and replaced fluid with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. I left the filter in there since it was a factory brand filter that was replaced about 30,000 miles before. It hasn't slipped/shuddered since then and is still running quite well at 228k plus miles on the original powertrain. Hope servicing it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back