Mobil1 EP 5W20 in Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone run a UOA on Mobil 1 5W20 EP with Mobil 1 EP oil filter in a Honda Accord ? Mine is a 2005 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder
Thanks for Help

Thank You , Ours is 2005 bought new, I broke in with 10 K changing oil/filter every 5 K...ever since Mobil1 Extended Performance with Mobil1 EP filter changed every 10K, car has 147,XXX now never skipped a beat and oil is Honey colored but no UOA as this is all new to me ...Thank You

Last edited:
I have a 2007 Honda Accord V6 EX-L 4 dr sedan with the fairly rare 6MT. Nice car.

I run the lowest cost brand name SAE 5W-20 SN oil I can find, along with a WIX filter changed every other change (just as Honda recommends). I change the oil based on the oil monitor. It averages 8000 Km (5000 miles) between changes. I expect the engine to be running well at 300,000 Km. Not sure I'll get more than that out of the body.

I just got a fantastic deal on some Pennzoil Platinum so I stocked up, but that'll be the first synthetic it will have seen. I really don't see the point of using anything more expensive.

I recently had the timing belt changed by the selling dealer. They hadn't seen the car for some time and offered me a free multi point check (meaning they hoped to sell me a bunch of stuff). To their surprise they couldn't find anything wrong with it - other than the cabin filter needed replacing - which I did myself in less than 5 minutes using a Honda OEM filter (for a savings of $80). They were right, it did need changing. I soon got a note asking if they could sell my Accord if I ever want to get rid of it. So it's well taken care of using the lowest cost brand name SN oil I can find.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I have a 2007 Honda Accord V6 EX-L 4 dr sedan with the fairly rare 6MT. Nice car.

I run the lowest cost brand name SAE 5W-20 SN oil I can find, along with a WIX filter changed every other change (just as Honda recommends). I change the oil based on the oil monitor. It averages 8000 Km (5000 miles) between changes. I expect the engine to be running well at 300,000 Km. Not sure I'll get more than that out of the body.

I just got a fantastic deal on some Pennzoil Platinum so I stocked up, but that'll be the first synthetic it will have seen. I really don't see the point of using anything more expensive.

I recently had the timing belt changed by the selling dealer. They hadn't seen the car for some time and offered me a free multi point check (meaning they hoped to sell me a bunch of stuff). To their surprise they couldn't find anything wrong with it - other than the cabin filter needed replacing - which I did myself in less than 5 minutes using a Honda OEM filter (for a savings of $80). They were right, it did need changing. I soon got a note asking if they could sell my Accord if I ever want to get rid of it. So it's well taken care of using the lowest cost brand name SN oil I can find.

Nice story. Who'd have thought engineers could get oil grade, specification and OLM all right.

What is the world coming to?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Nice story. Who'd have thought engineers could get oil grade, specification and OLM all right.

What is the world coming to?

Too true. What I've learned from this site is to keep it simple. I've been impressed by the very good results people get by simply following the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations. For normal use I don't believe you need anything more exotic than that.

I expect the engineers at Honda sweated bullets over those recommendations and I feel confident in following them.

I did this same scenario in a 1999 Toyota Corolla I owned only difference was 5W30 , The car needed a valve cover gasket, I replaced at 146,765 miles and was amazed at how clean it was. The Accord & Corolla have been some of the best I've owned.
I plan on a UOA thru Blackstone in a few thousand miles @10K . PS Ecotourist my cabin filter was nasty when Honda changed mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alanwayne1908
my cabin filter was nasty when Honda changed mine.

My local dealer charges big bucks to change the cabin filter. It took me maybe 15 minutes the first time but now I can change it in a minute or 2. It really couldn't be easier.

It is very easy to change cabin filter in newer Accord, you don't need any tool to lower the glove-box to gain access to the filter. The total time is about 2-3 minutes, half of that is remove the glove-box's contend and put it back after done.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It is very easy to change cabin filter in newer Accord, you don't need any tool to lower the glove-box to gain access to the filter. The total time is about 2-3 minutes, half of that is remove the glove-box's contend and put it back after done.

Agreed, it is very easy. But that doesn't stop a dealer from charging big bucks to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back