2008 Honda Element oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I have a 2008 Honda element and I am suppose to run 5w-20. Can i run a 0w-20 for better results or would it be the same? Thank you.

yes you can run 0W-20. not sure that you will notice any difference, but at cold temps your engine will get lube faster.

Originally Posted By: fujirio
Can i run a 0w-20 for better results or would it be the same?

Better results? Are you looking for better cold start performance in that arctic tundra of California you live in?

I'd run 5W30 synthetic in that car, "for better results".

You'll never see temps cold enough where 0W vs 5W will make a significant difference. However, you probably will see temps hot enough where xx-20 vs xx-30 can potentially make a difference. Since oil can shear down in viscosity during an OCI, a 30 weight can shear down to a 20 weight, and a 20 weight can shear down to a 10 or 15 weight, with the sheared-down oil not providing as much protection as the original. People who like thicker oils are of the mindset that they would rather start with heavier oil so that it will still be protecting well even after it shears down. People who like thinner oils point out that engines have been run hundreds of thousands of miles on nothing but xx-20 oils with no noticeable ill effects. It really comes down to personal preference and whatever will help you sleep better at night.

Hi guys, I have a 2008 Honda element and I am suppose to run 5w-20. Can i run a 0w-20 for better results or would it be the same? Thank you.

It will be the same. Tried it in my kids 2009. Hondas are easy on oil. I am using PP 5w20 and getting really good results. The engine has 110k on it and is very smooth & quiet.

Last edited:
Just use 5w20 synthetic , a 0w20 is synthetic by default a 5w20 synthetic will give near indentical results unless it gets below a certain temperature . If anything the 5w20 version of a oil is more shear stable and will have lower noack volatility due smaller viscocity spread.

Now if youre consuming oil , you may want to experiment with different combinations of grades or high mileage formulations, not all hondas are easy on oil and not all engines are run the same.

Hi guys, I have a 2008 Honda element and I am suppose to run 5w-20. Can i run a 0w-20 for better results or would it be the same?

You may get marginally better fuel economy out of a 0w-20, but you'll never be able to measure it. In extremely cold conditions, too, there may be a benefit. Look where I live. I've never "needed" a 0w-XX. However, there's generally nothing wrong with running a 0w-20 in a 5w-20 application. Mobil stands behind such a substitution.

Agreed except I have seen better mileage from the 0w over the 5w in a newer 2L 4 cylinder and it was easily measured and more rev-ability felt.
I had a 2006 Element and the only reason I sold it was it got the MPG of a semi- a box in the wind.
I'm a fan of 5w20 but here I may try 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Hi guys, I have a 2008 Honda element and I am suppose to run 5w-20. Can i run a 0w-20 for better results or would it be the same?

You may get marginally better fuel economy out of a 0w-20, but you'll never be able to measure it. In extremely cold conditions, too, there may be a benefit. Look where I live. I've never "needed" a 0w-XX. However, there's generally nothing wrong with running a 0w-20 in a 5w-20 application. Mobil stands behind such a substitution.

well I live in SD so would you just to stick to 5w-20?

You location says USA, CA(California?), OC (Orange County?)

If you want accurate advice on this website, perhaps you should update your location. I would give different advice to a person that lives in Florida to that of a person that lives in Barrow, Alaska.

can you give me those reasons? would like to know more about oil for my wifes car.

Your question is really a matter of personal preference since Honda approves both 0w-20 and 5w-20 for your Element. My Ridgeline only occasionally is in sub freezing weather. It sees many more temperatures above 90 degrees than it does below 40 degrees so cold starting matters not to me. With 78K miles it uses zero oil between changes with 5w-20 synthetic blend. I don't care about the minuscule fuel mileage gain you get from 0w-20. Finally 5w-20 oils (even full syns) are more readily available at better prices than 0w-20, at least where I live.

did you trade it in? what car did you end up going with? I might trade it in due to the fact the MPG is not that great and its a pain with the doors.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Agreed except I have seen better mileage from the 0w over the 5w in a newer 2L 4 cylinder and it was easily measured and more rev-ability felt.

It may be easily calculated, but not easily measured, and you definitely have to watch the error bars. The error analysis is what's going to bite you. The allowable error on a gas station's pumping accuracy alone is usually significantly higher than any claimed change in fuel economy.

Because that's what Honda specs for the car! 0w- or 5w-20 ... No reason to think you know more than the Honda engineers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back