Your FINAL though on Quaker State oil line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like qsud.Im running 0w20 Castrol Magnatec but after MIR from Menards,QSUD can be had for .99 qt -2.99qt mail in rebate. Sopus cant market PUP correctly so all the other lines have to suffer,really??

Never have, never will.

Thats my final thoughts on QS in general.

Dad used it all the time, but thats because he could get it for $0.99 or less at Menards.

All I know is it's priced right and at one point it had one of the coolest looking bottles I've ever seen (clear).

Other than that I'd say it's a decent major brand oil based off VOA I've seen, and UOA that have been posted. But I haven't used it myself, usually I can find Mobil 1 on sale at Walmart for the same price so I usually just end up buying that.

What are you asking?
I've used all of these oils in various applications over the years and never saw any problems with them.
All of these are perfectly serviceable oils that would be fine in the applications and OCIs to which they're suited.
There have even been Euro spec qualified QS syns.
Don't know whether there are now.
Will SOPUS consolidate all of its brands under the Shell label?
They may well, but the song will remain the same.
It'll just be a matter of figuring out which oils used to be QS and which used to be Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: meborder
Never have, never will.

Dad used it all the time, but thats because he could get it for $0.99 or less at Menards.

I don't know which oils you use, but for those who use Pennzoil, there's really no substantial reason to refuse to use Quaker State or Formula Shell ... they are all Shell/SOPUS oils, all high quality oils.

For that reason I don't use Pennzoil either.

And after seeing what sitting under fluorescent lights does to oil in a clear bottle, I wouldn't buy any oil in a clear bottle unless it came from a sealed carton from the back stockroom.

That makes no sense PYB is one of the biggest sellers..And high mileage oils sell well also because they work well.. I never had problems with Pennzoil except for their jugs that leak and that is the only reason why i shy away from them and im not alone on that.

Ive got defy in a relatives truck cuz it was a well priced hm at walmart at the time. It was like $1 more than supertech hm at the time. I cant tell a difference between any of the oils ive ever used except for so far smittys hm and defy have stopped consumption in the aformentioned truck. Those ate the only hm brands ive used in it yet so i bet any hm will work.
I like the prices of qs conventional and the synthetic one and i wonder if their much different than the pennzoil flavors reslly.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Never have, never will.

I don't know which oils you use, but for those who use Pennzoil, there's really no substantial reason to refuse to use Quaker State or Formula Shell ... they are all Shell/SOPUS oils, all high quality oils.

No thanks. I'm with meborder, don't like QS for a variety of reasons even though by all indications it's decent stuff nowadays. Yup a bit illogical since the name has stayed around since the 70s but the manufacturer has changed(has it?); and SOPUS puts out good products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Makes me want to buy QS now.

Me too
smile.gif

i just see it as a lesser cousin to Pennzoil now... But I remember when they put Slick 50 in it. Colossal mistake.

Originally Posted By: vronline
i just see it as a lesser cousin to Pennzoil now... But I remember when they put Slick 50 in it. Colossal mistake.

That was not the same slick 50 garbage teflon. Slick 50 came because Quaker State bought the trademark before the Pennzoil/Quaker State merger and once Shell bought Pennzoil/Quaker State out. Shell tried using the slick 50 trademark to make some money. Just another example at what great lengths consumers will consume a product with slick marketing. Much like the magical elixirs in a bottle today.

These conversations are what keeps BITOG going but I am waiting to hear of a DOCUMENTED case where a major oil brand was the key contributor to engine failure and where there were no engineering weaknesses, the recommended oil was used and it was purely oil failure I would use Quaker State in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
You'll never see any Quaker State oils in my garage.

Why exactly?

For that reason I don't use Pennzoil either.

And after seeing what sitting under fluorescent lights does to oil in a clear bottle, I wouldn't buy any oil in a clear bottle unless it came from a sealed carton from the back stockroom.

Never heard of this, what happens to oil in a clear bottle under fluorescent lights? Is it just those types of lights or any lights? Fluorescents have been known to emit small amounts of UV rays so maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure other lights do that or not.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

Never heard of this, what happens to oil in a clear bottle under fluorescent lights? Is it just those types of lights or any lights? Fluorescents have been known to emit small amounts of UV rays so maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure other lights do that or not.

Sorry, I fell asleep at the wheel and never re-visited this thread.

the oil had darkened quite visibly in the bottles that were exposed to the fluorescent lights. several "shades" as I remember it.

I always assumed it was due to the UV light, since all other factors were remarkably similar between the stock room and the sales floor. The Quaker State sold in the clear bottles wasn't a hot seller by any means (more costly than the others) so it was many months before enough was sold to restock the shelves. From the time it first came out to the time the original bottles stocked were sold was probably over a year, and in that time it was astonishing how much darker the oil had gotten.

they say color means nothing; however, *something* changed.
from that day on I swore off clear bottles, regardless of brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back