ST dino oil realistic OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Try a Honda 4 cyl. Tells you to change every 12K to 13K miles.

Not sure what I4 Honda you've been driving but my OLM goes off around 6k-7k.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Member dnewton3 posted a uoa of 12K miles on it and it was well used up but did its job and there was no damage.

So it was disassembled, inspected and the clearances were measured?

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Those chev 4.3's will last forever on anything that resembles a motor oil lol

Those engines could run on Crisco. Use ST and a delco classic filter for the OLM and sleep well at night. PF52 classics are nice filters.

Running ST at 5000-7000 miles should be just fine. Even at 5000 miles with the cost of the ST and a standard filter your oil change isn't that expensive and you have great protection. Sleep well at night. I was using the ST synthetic in my old Tacoma with a standard filter and changing out at 4000-5000 miles. No worries on my part and the Tacoma seemed to be just fine with that oil. With such a good price on a quality oil I didn't worry about the lower miles I was doing for the OCI. Now with my Versa note I am doing the severe oil service OCI and have used ST conventional and synthetic in it. Right now it has Pennzoil Gold in it but I won't be extending my OCI due to the severe service it is being driven at. I like getting fresh oil into my engines rather than buying a more expensive oil and going for three times the miles on a OCI. Just the way I like to do things. YMMV.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

2009 Honda CRV bought new--fully loaded 2WD. Always follow the OLM. It never went off less than 10k miles. I always drove it down to at least 5% but usually 0%. It's all dependent on your driving. At the time I owned that I had a much larger business and was driving an insane amount of miles. I even did if memory serves 4-6 full cross country coast to coast trips. 99.9 percent of miles I was driving were all on interstate with cruise control on.

When I was in town I had another car....a classic....I enjoyed driving to thr store Ect. Truly the CRV was hwy on,y cruisers when I owned it. I sold it at 3 yrs old if thr old memory is correct. Undoubtly with intown driving thr OLM would have suggested more frequent changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'd never use it as I did once and I had severe issues with it in a new car.
Must have been a bad batch.
I'd go with PYB because its bullet proof and often cheap too.

Please elaborate, what type of problem? Not trying to put you on the spot, but so many of these stories are anecdotal, and hardly ever substantiated. I've yet to hear of a truly oil caused (oil per se) failure.

I have three cars, two new, and a '08 PT Cruiser w/ 49K miles. I bought the Cruiser new, and over its lifetime it's been my test bed. I have extensively used ST (WPP) and RK (Warren Performance) in it. While some of the house oils may have a weaker add pack, and aren't able to go the distance of ridiculous oci's , but I've yet to see one that wasn't robust enough for 5K runs.

If I've learned anything on this site, it's that it's harder to find a bad oil than it is to find Hillary's email.

Last edited:
If I've learned anything on this site, it's that it's harder to find a bad oil than it is to find Hillary's email. [/quote] good one!

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

2005 Accord 2.4 and 2010 Acura TSX 2.4. Both cars ask for an oil change between 12k to 13k miles.

I found several uoas of supertech, both synthetic and conventional and even their semi blend HM. Just about all is positive. Now I didn't find much recent info about it but apparently a half a decade or so ago it was pretty well liked right here at bitog.
Also it seems to be formulated by a number of different companies, Such as Citgo and Exxon and delfin and warren petroleum. The synthetic stuff is dexos1 certified(which is a little more stringent requirement to pass) so I'm comfortable assuming that supertech is its own name brand and is credible. They just have other companies make it for them.

Originally Posted By: OILGEEK27
Olm, comes on at about 7500- 8000 miles. Thought that was a bit crazy for dino.
crazy2.gif

I have done it for a decade actually a the OCI is a bit longer. Crazy is thinking a SN/GF-5 lube is done at 5K in a stock engine and with moderate driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back