AEM dryflow filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any good info on aem dry flow filters, ive heard they are relatively good with airflow and filtering capability, but wanted to get some other opinions on them on here. yes i know everyone still loves paper filters and thats fine but with so many options out there why not look into some one them, granted i know k&n oiled filters allow too much dirt to pass through etc and i know aem dry flows are made by k&n but with different material and synthetics etc. just want to get some other info and opinions on them etc

I just installed an AEM 'Dryflo' air filter on my 2014 Focus.
This, combined with the 'snorkel delete' (which is touted on the Focus forum), has improved low speed drivability.
Before this modification there was much more bogging down when coming off the clutch at take-off. The Focus now seems to be breathing much better. I read on the internet that the OE a/f filters 99% while the AEM gets 98%....it feels much less restricted than that.

PS: The 'snorkel delete' involves removing a 16 inch long plastic sound deadner from in front of the intake which seems to restrict air inflow.

I had to have two AEM dryflow filters replaced for my 2015 Honda Civic. I change them out enough so I bought two.While cleaning one I found a microscopic oil while shining into light. Called AEM,KN called asked me to send pics. James Mu called me back and verified my claim and has two new ones coming my way. I checked the airbox w/ paper towel and lightly misted and found no noticeable dirt/debris but I am glad they are exchanging them. They were even gonna test mine to make sure light wont show through and bench flow them. I agreed to pay shipping back on good faith so they can inspect these that failed,find the idiot who might have been responsible and send him back to where he was employed before. Hope to see new filters this week,but till then I am happy I saved Honda OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Yeah it was hole, I was thinking faster than typing lol. Thanks for going easy on me.

No problem....I'll just have to check mine more often.

There were no instructions in the box on how to/ how often to wash this AEM DryFlow air filter....Did yours come with instructions?

two different ways ive seen both should work very well.

the 2nd video was from their original aem dry flows years ago but current filters are the first video

Last edited:
Thanks Dedonderosa...I don't understand why the second method says not to let water into the 'neck' while the first method actually sprays right into the neck?

The reusable BoAire filter that I purchased for my central A/C system says to clean it by flushing water through it opposite the 'flow' arrow....this makes sense since you would be pushing dirt back out of (rather than through) the filter. I think I'll go with the first video (with the hose) when the time comes in about 25K....

Last edited:
It says not to let the water get into the neck, because that water is filled with the dirt you just removed. That would leave dirt on the inside of the filter, which would get sucked into the engine when dry.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
It says not to let the water get into the neck, because that water is filled with the dirt you just removed. That would leave dirt on the inside of the filter, which would get sucked into the engine when dry.

Now I get it....that makes sense...

Hopefully my new aem dryflow filters get here this week.Between those,the pure 87 E0,and the turtle wax ice I used on my car today I am due for a 1+ HP gain all together.I do have the +5 hp sticker so count me down for 6 HP.Also got the VF2007 KN Cabin Filter with pantyhose filter wrap...Does that add HP / TQ or just protect from more dust? Was impressed with KN Filters to replace with little to no hassle once I had autoanything.com prove purchase.

Bruce's Speed Shop in Rockaway, NJ sells "Green Filters", which is an oiled filter, but unlike K&N, they don't use cotton gauze. Green Filters use woven cotton, similar to a polo type shirt.

Another alternative can be the Amsoil eA filter

The filters are here from AEM. James Mu inspected them and I did too once I got them unwrapped. No pure light flashing through and these smell fresh like getting a beer at the brewery straight from the tap. I am happy happy happy. I changed out immediately and noticed throttle improvement,but its half placebo and half adding any new filter is gonna seem quicker lol. I will say the vf2007 kn cabin filter hasnt given me any trouble so far. But I did wrap it in pantyhose and misted StaticGuard on it after rinsing in soap and water. Also used the Lubegard HVAC cleaner kit to keep the ac smelling nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back