Let's talk RUM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pretty young when I did some rum tasting on St. Lucia. The brand was bounty. Being young I had no idea what I was doing, but I recall some being fairly good and some being really bad, like coconut cream rum... ughhh

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Flor de Cana 7 yrs. Mixes great with Coke Zero and ice. Can mix them fairly strong yet taste is still smooth.

Yes, along with the Angostura choices I listed earlier, Flor de Caña 7yrs is also a favorite.

We use Cruzan because it supports the US Virgin Islands. Pardon my palate, but Ive never found much interesting about sipping hard liquors, which feel like heartburn and taste interesting at best, and like burning tires at worst... So the only time we use rum is in recipes and mixed drinks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We use Cruzan because it supports the US Virgin Islands. Pardon my palate, but Ive never found much interesting about sipping hard liquors, which feel like heartburn and taste interesting at best, and like burning tires at worst... So the only time we use rum is in recipes and mixed drinks.

Don't worry, I've tried lots of hard liquor neat/rocks. It tastes exactly like it should to any sane person... like rubbing alcohol with some added flavor.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Captain Morgan

I know I'm going to get some hate for that but it's fairly cheap, you can get it anywhere, I personally find it mixes well with coke or cherry coke, which is usually how I consume it.

1 teaspoon in my morning cup of espresso. A 750 ml Captain Morgan bottle is good for around 6-7 months.

Price and quality are very often divergent in booze. You can spend a lot of money on so-so stuff and a little money on very good stuff. But, most well known brands are owned by huge multinational corporations that know the value of advertising and positioning.

Originally Posted By: car51
So, can anyone tell me the runs made from molasses?

Pretty much anything that doesn't say "agricole" on it, with a few rare exceptions. Some are easy to learn about by looking online or at the labels in the store. My list is by no means exhaustive, but these are the ones I know.

Anything from Martinique or Reunion that says "rhum agricole."
Brazilian cachaca, also called "Brazilian rum."
Sammy's Beach Bar Rum
St. George California Agricole Rum
Barbancourt (from Haiti)
Puerto Angel (Oaxaca)

There may be a few more available in the U.S., but everything else is made from Molasses.

Cool! Thanks for that info sir
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back