Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often should ATF be changed?

I live in a hot, dry climate, and my car sees an average of about 50 miles per day driving. The ATF and filter were last changed about 30,000 miles ago. Most of my driving is high speed on the open road.

Depends on what vehicle you are talking about.

As far as I know there is no car branded as ferocious.
smile.gif

Are we supposed to guess the make/model?

In general, a spill-and-fill every 30K is good.

Your Avalon's transmission has a drain plug, so changing the fluid is very easy. Just change it as often as you feel like. Use Maxlife
smile.gif

I find that simple drain and fills every year do wonders for a transmission unit.

I have a Honda Accord with 288,000 miles on it...still on the original automatic transmission...drain and fills every year since new. And those trannies were prone to failure.

Yep every 30k is good. Drain/refill is all that should be needed unless it burns up sooner from other issues.

I used Mobil 1 on my '02 Avalon and the trans worked well.
That 1mz-fe is sludge prone, so use good synth, frequent pcv changes, and enjoy the ride.

Btw - high speed driving on the open road is the easiest driving style for a trans, so I'm told.
I did 30k, with M1 and never had a problem. 11 years and 170k.

Easy way is to do it when you balance your tires. I do 2 rotations and on third time rotation,balance, and tranny service. Fluid cheaper than tranny to replace. At most every 30-40k for piece of mind. Find a high mileage synblend or Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Do the Avalons have a serviceable diff like the Camrys? Might as well do that as well.
It's the V6 transaxle which can be filled through the transmission filler but
has it's own drain. The I4 Camrys of that vintage could only be filled from their fill plug which is sort of a PITA to get to. Wallyworld has the synthetic Valvoline ATF for a good price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Do the Avalons have a serviceable diff like the Camrys? Might as well do that as well.

Wow, good thought. Separate drain, as mentioned, and the fill is with the ATF. Same fluid same fill spot.
Some model years don't have the separate drain, though.
Good thinking bd. Cardinal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back