Would you let a teenager house sit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just any teenager but an 18 year old that seems to be sleep walking through life even though she is not on drugs. Basically, she is not really paying attention as she chugs through the day.

Example 1: went to fill up her mom's car. Grabbed the diesel pump (car is not a diesel) and discovered it wouldn't fit in the fill hole. Thought she was doing it wrong and basically forced the pump nozzle into the fill hole damaging the hole and filling the non- diesel with diesel.

Example 2: was making a U turn in a driveway with sharp rocks lining the edges. Hit a rock and heard a pop (tire blowout) and kept on driving to a friend's house on a flat. (Said she thoughtthe pop sound was weird and the car drove funny but thought it was no big deal).

Anyways the wife has asked if she can house sit and I am afraid this girl will burn the house down.

Am I being paranoid?

>>>discovered it wouldn't fit in the fill hole
Oh boy.
grin.gif

Reminds me of somthing I probably shouldn't say here.
cool.gif

Don't worry. Trial and error is a heck of a teacher.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
>>>discovered it wouldn't fit in the fill hole
Oh boy.
grin.gif

Reminds me of somthing I probably shouldn't say here.
cool.gif

Don't worry. Trial and error is a heck of a teacher.

I thought someone might go there.

Trial and error is fine but not on my house.
15.gif

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Not just any teenager but an 18 year old that seems to be sleep walking through life even though she is not on drugs. Basically, she is not really paying attention as she chugs through the day.

Example 1: went to fill up her mom's car. Grabbed the diesel pump (car is not a diesel) and discovered it wouldn't fit in the fill hole. Thought she was doing it wrong and basically forced the pump nozzle into the fill hole damaging the hole and filling the non- diesel with diesel.

Example 2: was making a U turn in a driveway with sharp rocks lining the edges. Hit a rock and heard a pop (tire blowout) and kept on driving to a friend's house on a flat. (Said she thoughtthe pop sound was weird and the car drove funny but thought it was no big deal).

Anyways the wife has asked if she can house sit and I am afraid this girl will burn the house down.

Am I being paranoid?

chances are she's going to lock herself out, and spend the rest of the time in front of the house waiting for you in the sun, 2 feet from shadow....

are you sure she know how to turn the oven/range off? i fired a babysitter for that (heavy natgas smell in all 2 story house including behind closed doors)

Any chance you would explain how at 18 she's not capable of being an adult? I'm assuming she's your step daughter. What kind of failed parenting produces an adult that cannot function? Just being Captain Obvious and pointing out the elephant in the room.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
Any chance you would explain how at 18 she's not capable of being an adult? I'm assuming she's your step daughter. What kind of failed parenting produces an adult that cannot function? Just being Captain Obvious and pointing out the elephant in the room.

Very good questions. Not my stepdaughter.

Here is the complicated part: Her mom (a very good friend of my wife's) asked if she can house sit for us while we are gone for a week. She asked this as a favor because the girl does not get along with her brother who apparently can be abusive. So she basically needs a week away from her own house. My wife being a friend who has a soft spot for the girl asked me if this can happen. Normally, the answer would be a flat no but I have to approach this delicately or both the wife and the friend will be pi$$ed at me.

Ahhhhh. Well. Doesn't your house have a minor big problem? Or maybe just a preventative termite application? I mean sure she can house sit. But, all those chemicals and the pest company recommending no one be in the house for a week. Mmmmm. OH, You get home., darn it to heck honey I was so excited about our trip I forgot the leave a key for the pest company. Heck I forgot to even schedule them. Gosh darn.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Most houses get by just fine without being sat.

Just lock the doors and go.

There's your answer.

I think you need to talk with the teenager and not just mom and judge the person you're helping out. is that what the teenager wants when mom isn't in the room? make her day it herself.

it's a house, it's not like stuff is going to go so irreversibly wrong esp if she sounds like is just going to be depressed and watch tv.
At most you set aside $100 to get cleaning service or someone to help clean up messes.

a semi depressed teenager probably better than a party teenager but a week away isn't necessarily going to solve her problems either.
get onto paper a checklist of what you expect and rules and contact info. ask her questions of what she is going to do or not do. like what is she going to so for dinner? microwave or pizza or what?

you can even have a dry run and have her come over day before or two

Last edited:
That young woman is extremely immature, ill-prepared and unable to make logical or appropriate decisions. It's not your job to fix her, either.

I wouldn't have her sit in my driveway, if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back