93 J30t...worth it or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to look at the following car this evening. PO seems on top of maint. and repairs.
Mileage is a palty 78k miles. Everything incl the a/c still works.
New injectors and several other bits and pieces
Timing belt was changed at 100k as well

Anything I should look out for?
Problems owner mentioned includes the following:
display on Bose deck is not working
leather trim around shifter is warn/torn

My only reservation is that I don't usually go for daily drivers at that advanced age.

Thanks in advance!

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5705389717.html

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

My only reservation is that I don't usually go for daily drivers at that advanced age.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like the ad indicates 126k.

What is the book value? $1700-$2600? Will you insure it for anything past liability?
Can you can afford to take a loss if it were in a accident on the way home.

Man, I love older Japanese luxury cars like this. A relic of a bygone era. Just make sure to do your due diligence and check everything out. It has low miles but is still a 23 yr old car after all.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Thanks in advance!

Looks like the ad indicates 126k.

What is the book value? $1700-$2600? Will you insure it for anything past liability?
Can you can afford to take a loss if it were in a accident on the way home.

126,000 km is ~78,000 miles

Nissan quit making some parts for it long ago, especially the odd bits. And you'll find the aftermarket doesn't cover those parts and you'll get disappointed when you try finding good spares in the junkyard.
Not a good buy. They didn't make many of them and most have been melted into new steel by now.

That looks like a nice one. Note the newer G35 sport wheels. Its kindof a 4 door luxury 300zx N/A.

I really like it esp with no rust. But for a daily driver it would hard to beat a Focus for the same price point but a lot newer, better mileage, inexpensive parts etc....

These were cheap used cars a baker's dozen years ago.
I looked at one in 2003 and ended up buying a '97 Accord instead.
What I saw online about these cars seemed fairly horrifying, which is why I passed.
I doubt that age has improved this machine.
It isn't a good Bordeaux that will only get better with age.

Mine was issue free with much abuse. I went through 5 or 6 sets of tires in the year I had her (rear). Loved the car, it drove nice, heavy and was the safest thing i have ever wrecked. Issues I remember were rear strut out, bushings in the suspension (180k), terrible gas mileage and the gas tank in the trunk, was too heavy to move in ice or snow. Would spin in place, I guess front heavy. Loved the interior, better than most things these day even, minus BOSE, when it goes it goes. Had a valve cover leak until I slugged up the hole with some Lucas
laugh.gif
. Otherwise I had great luck with it, other that me using it as a plow at 80mph. Still drove but the side was swiped some.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Man, I love older Japanese luxury cars like this. A relic of a bygone era. Just make sure to do your due diligence and check everything out. It has low miles but is still a 23 yr old car after all.

Same here!! Some of my fave cars. I saw a mint condition Mazda Millenia the other day. I knew someone who had one,and that car was amazing!! Drove like a dream.

Thanks for the replies guys

After inspecting the car, I realized 1993 was indeed a LONG time ago. Far too long ago to rely on as a daily driver.
I can tell that there are small components that will need attention as the car ages, to keep it in the current condition it's in.
OTOH, I can tell the previous owners took great care of it (engine and all other parts of car were clean enough to eat off of!).

Since I'm going back to school in the fall, I won't have the time nor patience to allocate to it. I also think a dd should be something that's newer, unless you are patient and have deep pockets. Additionally, I already have the BMW as my ancient relic that's gathering dust. I sure don't need another old car!

Thanks again for helping me with my decision
smile.gif

Absolutely awesome car, one of the best Nissan has ever built. I am not sure at that age it's worth 3200, but I would not hesitate to buy that and drive it. They are so rock solid, the epitome of Nissan reliability in the 90's, and good looks to boot.

<3 J30.. Always wanted one.

I could get you in touch with the seller.
He's negotiable on the price so this could be worthwhile for you.

That was my first time driving one. Seemed nice, but "dated" (obviously)

NOTE: price was 3600 when I went to see it. Later that evening he dropped the price to $3200

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: mclasser

Same here!! Some of my fave cars. I saw a mint condition Mazda Millenia the other day. I knew someone who had one,and that car was amazing!! Drove like a dream.

I see Mazda 929's every now and then that give me the same feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back