2006 Volvo V50 Wagon, reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOG-ers,
a shop around me has a Volvo V50 Wagon, 105K miles, good shape for around $5,995.
(i think they are also trying to sell it for the last year, so maybe there is space for negotiations/maybe not)

car looks good (from the pictures) but:
-i never had a volvo
-i don't have a house anymore so will have to find volvo garage and rely on others for maintenance....

so BITOG-ers:
-should i run?
-should i take it?
-should i take something else? (if yes, please recommend me something used and kind of reliable in wagon form)

thank you and happy motoring

pandus13

I found the KISS option to be a 05-07 Focus wagon. Cheap, simple, shares parts with 1,000,000 other Foci out there, no timing belts, good cargo space, kinda fun to drive with the manual. Not very refined though, but I drive 60mph or less 95% of the time.
If you don't need to carry 4 people and cargo, a mazda3 is a better sporty car and I suspect would deliver most of the experience of the V50 while not being a rare volvo.
I would try a VW wagon as well, and I'd probably get one of those before I got a V50 but in my area a V50 is a very rare car.
I think with the volvo, you have to ask yourself if the potentially much greater maintenance hassle/cost is worth the drive?
If you are happy with the Yaris, a Focus will be just fine refinement wise.

The 2006 V50 seems to be a fair price if it's in better than average condition. It's higher on the luxury scale so more expensive to maintain even if it proves to be reliable. Items like alternator, starter, window regulators, power steering pump/rack could be an arm and a leg. If it was me and I was looking for a wagon in the 2006 to 2009 range, I'd consider the previously mentioned Focus wagon, but I'd also consider (in no particular order) a Toyota Matrix (Pontiac Vibe), Kia Spectra, Scion XB and Subaru Legacy.

i wonder if mazda3 shares a lot of dna with mazda5....
this would make for a lot of common things (wheels/tires, oil,....).
but a mazda6 wagon would be perfect (don't know how much is similar with mazda5 though....)

Originally Posted By: pandus13
i wonder if mazda3 shares a lot of dna with mazda5....
this would make for a lot of common things (wheels/tires, oil,....).
but a mazda6 wagon would be perfect (don't know how much is similar with mazda5 though....)

+1 but Mazda 6 wagons are extremely rare.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If you have to ask you probably can't afford the dealer zings for every little thing.

Considering this car is out of warranty, I'm surprised they are asking so much for it.
I'd be willing to bet that they'd practically pay YOU to take it off their hands if you showed interest.

I've always liked Volvo wagons.

volvo-v50-3.jpg

Hi BITOG-ers,
a shop around me has a Volvo V50 Wagon, 105K miles, good shape for around $5,995.
(i think they are also trying to sell it for the last year, so maybe there is space for negotiations/maybe not)

car looks good (from the pictures) but:
-i never had a volvo
-i don't have a house anymore so will have to find volvo garage and rely on others for maintenance....

so BITOG-ers:
-should i run?
-should i take it?
-should i take something else? (if yes, please recommend me something used and kind of reliable in wagon form)

thank you and happy motoring

pandus13

Check consumer reviews at Edmunds.com and you'll know if you should run or not. Just remember if it becomes a money pit and you want to unload it, how long will you need to wait to find a buyer for it?

I haven't bought many used cars, but I think a good philosophy is to stick with a popular mainstream model. Generally cheaper to work on, parts availability not a problem, more options for getting it serviced, and easier to resell down the line or if the car doesn't work out. A Volvo, while it may be a good car, is going to scare off a lot of potential buyers because it isn't mainstream and is viewed as an exotic complicated vehicle. I don't know if it is or isn't.

Focus wagon is a good choice, Mazda 5 or Protege 5 would be a couple possibilities. Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe are good too. Used Focus is usually not expensive even for low mileage, just stay away from the wonky transmission used in the newer ones, stick with a manual trans if possible. I think Hyundai and Kia made a few wagons / hatchbacks but they're pretty rare.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
For a bigger wagon: Dodge Magnum.

lots of "bling" in the area. i will have to find one which is clean, maintained and un-molested.
i can't remember, but what where the engines with problems? 3.3, 3.5? (sorry memory is not what used to be)

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I found the KISS option to be a 05-07 Focus wagon. Cheap, simple, shares parts with 1,000,000 other Foci out there, no timing belts, good cargo space, kinda fun to drive with the manual. Not very refined though, but I drive 60mph or less 95% of the time.
If you don't need to carry 4 people and cargo, a mazda3 is a better sporty car and I suspect would deliver most of the experience of the V50 while not being a rare volvo.
I would try a VW wagon as well, and I'd probably get one of those before I got a V50 but in my area a V50 is a very rare car.
I think with the volvo, you have to ask yourself if the potentially much greater maintenance hassle/cost is worth the drive?
If you are happy with the Yaris, a Focus will be just fine refinement wise.

Thank you Indy

Originally Posted By: dlayman
I haven't bought many used cars, but I think a good philosophy is to stick with a popular mainstream model. Generally cheaper to work on, parts availability not a problem, more options for getting it serviced, and easier to resell down the line or if the car doesn't work out. A Volvo, while it may be a good car, is going to scare off a lot of potential buyers because it isn't mainstream and is viewed as an exotic complicated vehicle. I don't know if it is or isn't.

Focus wagon is a good choice, Mazda 5 or Protege 5 would be a couple possibilities. Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe are good too. Used Focus is usually not expensive even for low mileage, just stay away from the wonky transmission used in the newer ones, stick with a manual trans if possible. I think Hyundai and Kia made a few wagons / hatchbacks but they're pretty rare.

Thank you

Originally Posted By: wemay
I've always liked Volvo wagons.

volvo-v50-3.jpg

If you like them so much, why dont' you own one?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
For a bigger wagon: Dodge Magnum.

lots of "bling" in the area. i will have to find one which is clean, maintained and un-molested.
i can't remember, but what where the engines with problems? 3.3, 3.5? (sorry memory is not what used to be)

Avoid the 2.7 V6 (base models only)...it has the timing chain driven water pump, and also just isn't enough. The 3.5 is perfectly fine (especially with the 5-speed auto), the Hemis haul! An SE (17" wheels, no fog lights, 4-speed trans PRND3L shifter) will usually be a 2.7 and was probably originally a rental. An SXT (17" or 18" wheels, fog lights, cloth seats, 4-speed OR 5-speed-PRND-trans depending on year) will be a 3.5 V6. An R/T (18" wheels with 225/60 tires, leather, 5-speed auto) will be a Hemi. An R/T Road-Track (235/55R18 or 245/45R20 tires, automatic HVAC, rear auto-leveling) has upgraded suspension and is a superb handler.

Mine had a couple of minor issues: mostly, they all (inherent in the design) have something of an appetite for front swaybar links. (It is about a 20-minute job.) Also, many had a problem with pulsing brakes...the easiest fix I have seen is a set of slotted rotors from SSBC or StopTech. (And they're about the same price as stockers.)

Also:winter tires are pretty much mandatory. With a set of Winterforces, my R/T went from near-undriveable (the OE Assurances are awful) to nearly unstoppable. Note that the R/T will NOT fit 17" wheels for snows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back