Got my Micro Green oil filter in from the 50% sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a few photos of the filter unused. Louvered center tube. Thick gasket. The ol hecho en México. Very heavy.

Last edited:
I got mine today also and it does seem to be a quality item.
I plan on running the filter for one OCI of possibly 10K on a high quality synthetic.
I don't believe you should change the filter and keep running the same oil for 30K because the oil's additives will wear out.
I do think this filter could go the entire 15K that Mobil 1 and Castrol Gold Edge suggest...??

If Fram can make Ultra in U.S. and has retail price of $10 then why Micro Green at twice the price can't be made in U.S ?

I was about to buy a few to try, but the made in Mexico is a turn off.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I plan on running the filter for one OCI of possibly 10K on a high quality synthetic.
I don't believe you should change the filter and keep running the same oil for 30K because the oil's additives will wear out.
I do think this filter could go the entire 15K that Mobil 1 and Castrol Gold Edge suggest...??

I think they suggest 10k filter swaps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If Fram can make Ultra in U.S. and has retail price of $10 then why Micro Green at twice the price can't be made in U.S ?

I was about to buy a few to try, but the made in Mexico is a turn off.

I paid 8 for this, but I see what you mean.

However if it's done right I don't really care where its made.

That is counter to the FAQ on the MG site and also counter to what my UOA showed after 30K miles. I don't understand all the debate. The only reason I would buy these, which I do, is to go the 30K miles. The savings on synthetic oil more than pay for the extra cost of the filters, even at the full $15 price (for the one my car uses).

Q: Will extending the drain intervals and using oil up to 30,000 miles have a negative effect on the additive package in the oil?
A: The microGreen filter is unique in that it captures particles as small as two microns in size. In a traditional filter, these small particles are not removed and, therefore, deplete the additive package and lead to chemical changes in the oil. By keeping the oil cleaner, the microGreen filter ensures that the additive package remains active in the oil for up to 30,000 miles.

Extensive on-road testing and oil analyses clearly indicate that using the microGreen oil filter, even after 30,000 miles, does not adversely affect the viscosity, wear metals and oxidation (TAN/TBN) levels in the oil. All of these levels remain within normal operating conditions throughout the extended oil life. Clearly, these levels cannot be maintained if the additives can been depleted.

Research has shown that heavy-duty trucks using by-pass filters can extend their drain intervals without affecting the additive packages. The microGreen filter works in the same manner as by-pass filters by utilizing a secondary high efficiency filter to remove small particles from the oil.

In chemical analyses of the microGreen filtered oil indicate that the microGreen filter only contains contaminant particles—it does not filter any of the additive package.

DBMaster - Your write up was a big part why I wanted to try these.

I am however going to keep my current OCI and just use these like a high end premium filter when I can get them cheap. I short trip to work 5mi or so daily. 30,000 miles might leave me with 3 or 4 year old oil!

Last edited:
I understand. It took me almost two years to reach my 30K interval. My daily commute is 21 miles each way. Around DFW you can generally rack up the miles pretty quickly.

A window screen can capture 2 micron particles, but it's not going to be efficient at doing it. I want to see some real numbers from an industry standard test.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
A window screen can capture 2 micron particles, but it's not going to be efficient at doing it. I want to see some real numbers from an industry standard test.

Per Microgreen from a direct email question about this.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
....I received this reply today:

Thank you for your inquiry. The full flow filter is 99%@20 microns. The microdisk is rated 99%@5 micron. The 2 micron rating of the microdisk is captured through oil analysis and you can even find customers who have posted their results on BITOG. The Fram Ultra that you mention lists their efficiency as 99%@ >20 microns on the page link you listed. We’re not trying to start anything, but it’s worth mentioning since that is a slight contrast vs. what is being stated below and many filters would be able to claim 99% @ >20 microns.

For what it's worth, the title to my email was "Microgreen filters efficiency ratings per ISO 4548-12."

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Per Microgreen from a direct email question about this.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
....I received this reply today:

Thank you for your inquiry. The full flow filter is 99%@20 microns. The microdisk is rated 99%@5 micron. The 2 micron rating of the microdisk is captured through oil analysis and you can even find customers who have posted their results on BITOG. The Fram Ultra that you mention lists their efficiency as 99%@ >20 microns on the page link you listed. We’re not trying to start anything, but it’s worth mentioning since that is a slight contrast vs. what is being stated below and many filters would be able to claim 99% @ >20 microns.

For what it's worth, the title to my email was "Microgreen filters efficiency ratings per ISO 4548-12."

I did email them back quoting the text that was posted, and asked for additional clarification about the testing methodology used to obtain those numbers. I also asked about the particle count data. That was a day or two ago, so far no response.

"That was a day or two ago, so far no response."

Didnt HTCO just post this yesterday? #4162594 - 07/27/16 03:43 PM Re: Those wacky guys at MicroGreen are doing it again. [Re: Ihatetochangeoil]

How could two days have gone by?

Regardless manufacturers are weird that way, sometimes they ignore you, sometimes they answer you.

Unless I missed a mail (always a possibility) They sure ignored me when I emailed about the genset filters that are now gone from their website.

Pretty dumb for them to do that.

UD

Last edited:
Didnt HTCO just post this yesterday? #4162594 - 07/27/16 03:43 PM Re: Those wacky guys at MicroGreen are doing it again. [Re: Ihatetochangeoil]

Regardless manufacturers are weird that way, sometimes they ignore you, sometimes they answer you.

Unless I missed a mail (always a possibility) They sure ignored me when I emailed about the genset filters that are now gone from their website.

It was the same evening as when that was posted. Sorry to upset you, when I said a day or two ago I meant a day or two ago. I couldn't remember exactly.

Sometimes I still wonder what your real stake in this is, you seem far more invested than a casual observer.

Bypasses like the PTFE disk - preserve TBN life by keeping the particle out of the oil. The additive package then last longer as it doesn't have to work as hard suspending the particles. This is why Bypasses extend OCI's well beyond that of the addition of their capacity to the sump.

Im with you on sth good stuff- even though they say you can do this with dino - I sure wouldn't do it.

As to running it on a 15K run. My answer would be - yes and no

Could the full flow portion last the 15K - probably. - Its high quality and has familiar characteristics of other high end filters.

However their choice of bypass the PTFE disk (vs stacked media, or external mount) doesn't have the capacity to keep the particles in check beyond about 10K and plugs up - which is why they settled on that number. So at 10K at best you would be filtering like any other filter of equivalent media without the bypass helping you.

UD

Originally Posted By: kschachn

It was the same evening as when that was posted. Sorry to upset you, when I said a day or two ago I meant a day or two ago. I couldn't remember exactly.

Sometimes I still wonder what your real stake in this is, you seem far more invested than a casual observer.

upset me? Hardly.

Just a bunch guys talking about filters. Now you guys start talking about my smoking hot sister and you'll rile me.

My stake? is the life of the highly expensive vehicles and engines I own, only some of which are in the sig line.

High pressure HEUI pump in my cat diesel is under tremendous pressure and sensitive to particles, if I can get near external bypass level filtration from a spin on - I'm intrigued.

I work in the TV business by day for an American manufacturer, and also run a boat business as a hobby business by night.
So I make money during the day and lose it at night.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
....I did email them back quoting the text that was posted, and asked for additional clarification about the testing methodology used to obtain those numbers. I also asked about the particle count data. That was a day or two ago, so far no response.

I will be interested to see if you get a response to those specific questions, and if you do, the answer provided. I read the post and reply in other thread, and I wasn't satisfied either that the response stated 'in the reply itself' that it was specifically referencing the now industry standard for efficiency, ISO 4548-12. I do think it a bit ironic that the email reply took a little shot at Fram for their method of listing efficiency with the ISO test.

As background though, I normally now have avoided any recent discussion of the topic filter. I have done so because of having been one target of a spineless multiple alias troll for previously questioning why no ISO 4548-12 spec is listed on the website or box especially with all the other info listed. The troll went by the names, FetchFar aka, stickybuns, boundarylayer, route66mike, and elastohydro to name some. You will note all those names have now been perma banned, more evidence of the shenanigans that have gone on with the discussion of this filter. The troll's MO was personal attack of any poster that questioned the MG filter and especially the lack of ISO test results. Seemed extremely sensitive to the ISO test considerations, and used the multiple aliases to back itself up using personal attack.

I posted that background information here only as reference just in case history were to repeat itself here in this thread, for this post. Also this is a direct re. reply to kschachn.

As I've said often, I have no problem with whatever filter anyone chooses to use, it's their vehicle and their money. All their website promotion aside, the MG appears to be a solidly made filter. DBMaster having posted often about the MG is passionate about it and afaik never resorted to or encouraged personal attack. He's used it and as far as I can tell trying to follow MG's website suggested use. Also seems to be using it with environmental considerations in mind too. Fwiw, I can respect all of that.

For myself and being promoted as a premium filter, I'd like to see the ISO 4548-12 test results listed with other information, website and/or box. For others, it not being important works for them. But either way, personal attack should not part of the discussion. My .02

Why, thank you, Sayjac. You're a gentleman and a scholar. I don't quite understand all the animosity, either. Maybe that's just what passion leads to these days.

Bypasses like the PTFE disk - preserve TBN life by keeping the particle out of the oil. The additive package then last longer as it doesn't have to work as hard suspending the particles. This is why Bypasses extend OCI's well beyond that of the addition of their capacity to the sump.

Im with you on sth good stuff- even though they say you can do this with dino - I sure wouldn't do it.

As to running it on a 15K run. My answer would be - yes and no

Could the full flow portion last the 15K - probably. - Its high quality and has familiar characteristics of other high end filters.

However their choice of bypass the PTFE disk (vs stacked media, or external mount) doesn't have the capacity to keep the particles in check beyond about 10K and plugs up - which is why they settled on that number. So at 10K at best you would be filtering like any other filter of equivalent media without the bypass helping you.

UD

I purchased the oversized filter for my 2016 Ford Escape 2.5 (MG301-1) which has a 5.7 quart oil capacity (which is 1.2 quarts more than it's 2.0 MZR cousin in my Focus). Since the motor is new and spotless, and the oil capacity is fairly large and the MicroGreen filter appears to be very high quality (it even has a silicone ADBV which wasn't shown in the ad)....I think 12 to 15K on Mobil 1EP or Castrol Gold Edge would be very doable...I really have no interest in going any longer even though your reasoning (and Microgreens) is very logical. Thanks for the explanation.
Once again, my opinion of this filter is very high and the 'Hecho in Mexico' doesn't bother me....'Made in China' would be a different story for me.

I don't think it matters where they are made. I cut one open recently that was made in China rather than Mexico and it looked the same inside. You can get junk made in China or good stuff made there, depending upon how much you're willing to pay. You're short changing yourself if you discount ALL Chinese products as junk. Apple makes all its products in China, for example. A number of my pocket knives are from Sanrenmu, a high quality knife maker in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back