uoa 2013 f150 3.5 ecoboost pennzoil yellow b 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all new member here. Just wanted to share this uoa of my 3.5 ecoboost f150 run on pennzoil conventional oil. Lots of short tripping on this fill, was using full synthetic and was getting rising oil on dipstick, tried conventional and no rising oil on dipstick. Any thoughts?

Am I wrong to think with a TBN of 2.1 and some shearing, it might not be the best idea to push it 2000 more miles? Am I not following?

Last edited:
I don't think the type of oil has anything to do with your oil level. More than likely it was excessive fuel dilution to the oil while it's breaking in fully. Looking at that viscosity, there's a lot of fuel in the oil that blackstone is not catching due to their method.

For the lower viscosity I have seen 5W30 PYB down to 9 CST in a 4.0 Jeep in less then 3K miles. The flash point is a little low but not alarming by any means. 7K is easily doable. If this was my truck I would do 7K OCI's with PYB and not worry about a thing.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I don't think the type of oil has anything to do with your oil level. More than likely it was excessive fuel dilution to the oil while it's breaking in fully. Looking at that viscosity, there's a lot of fuel in the oil that blackstone is not catching due to their method.

Yes. Around 2% fuel.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Am I wrong to think with a TBN of 2.1 and some shearing, it might not be the best idea to push it 2000 more miles? Am I not following?

Shearing is normal and the TBN drop would not likely be below 1.0 and I bet a Coke it would have more cushion than you believe.

A family member runs PYB 5w20 for 8000 miles in a basic 2L 4 cyl and a Fram Ultra x2 OCI.
His reports come back very stellar as well.
For the price-performance I would also run Magnatec 5w30 instead. I have used every weight and run it in many vehicles.
Most likely better than PYB. I say that like others said prior but also PYB often is more expensive as well.

It's an 'okay' run, but nothing great...viscosity is really beat down.

Magnatec seems to be the ticket here.

I don't understand why Blackstone think the OCI should be extended, as the viscosity and TBN are low enough already. Hard to say if that drop was caused by high temp shearing or fuel contamination. Probably a bit of both.

Would have to wonder long term how PYB does with the intake valve issue ...
Some synthetic oils being picked for NOACK - and if I were to go cheaper - what about Ford's MC ?
At least then they can't say you used a bad oil if you wanted Ford to deal with the issue.
To my knowledge they still R&D these motors wrt the intake buildup ...

With Flash Point drop of about 40*F, fuel dilution seems to have occured to lower KV@100*C.
Hths shear thinning has compounded drop in KV@100*C.
I wouldn't extend OCI, and consider replacing with other oil option.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back