Honda GCC160 crank question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Honda GCV160 off a guy who didn't realize a pressure washer pump wouldn't last outside at -30. The engine has maybe 2 hours on it. I was going to use it as a lawnmower engine but notice the crank isn't drilled and tapped to accept a bolt for the blade adapter. Anyone ever drill and tap a crankshaft?

Crank is cast iron and easy to drill and tap. Bolt is 3/8-24 x 1-3/8 long. The crank should already have a pilot hole drilled about 1/4" deep so if you use a blade adapter over the end of the crank it will help keep the drill centered also.

FastLane, the GC crank may not be long enough to use in a lawn mower application, and it also may not have the correct diameter down at the end.

27654528863_2bbca8ae93_b.jpg

The crankshaft on the left is from a GC160 powering a pressure washer. The crankshaft on the right is from a GCV160 from a Craftsman mower, designed for a Craftsman blade adapter. If you would like me to measure the two crankshafts, I'd be happy to, just let me know.

Interesting. I took the blade adapter off my Craftsman Briggs lawnmower and it fit. The diameter is the same. I never noticed the length though.

Parts for Honda engines are extremely reasonably priced. The crankshaft for my particular engine is only 33 bucks. Look at Partstree.com, click on "Honda", click on "Honda Engines: GCV Series", and then look up the GCV160A S3A -- that's my particular engine (from a 2003 Sears Craftsman 21" mower). The crank is 33 dollars, but you can see all of the different PTO end variants available.

Again, I'd be happy to measure the PTO end of my crank if you think you are interested in sourcing a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back