Muskmelon

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I came home this morning from a couple days of RAGBRAI and found these waiting in the garden for us. Needless to say we needed nothing else for lunch today.

The one on the left is almost the size of a basketball. There are 4 more that will be ready by the weekend-good thing we have a few folks coming over for dinner Sunday that will help us eat them.

I sure do love summer and the bounty of the garden.

Looks like a cantaloupe only bigger? Does it taste different? Have not see those around here in NC. I love cantaloupe, I'd love to try one of those.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Looks like a cantaloupe only bigger? Does it taste different? Have not see those around here in NC. I love cantaloupe, I'd love to try one of those.

There really isn't a definitive answer to that. Around here the smaller ones with deeper grooves are called cantaloupe, and these are called muskmellons, but the terminology varies regionally. These don't travel well-the outer skin is fairly soft and subject to bruising. Regular cantaloupe have a denser skin-the main reason why they are often shipped in from south of the border during the off-season.

Unlike cantaloupe, muskmellons don't do well being picked slightly less than ripe. When they're ready they need to be picked, cut up and eaten in a matter of a couple of days.

IIRC muskmelons are similar to honeyrock?

Both have a sweet taste but a strong aftertaste.. that is unpleasant if not properly ripe?

I haven't had a true muskmelon for ages.. I wonder if the local farmers market will have some I will have to check tues.

Had a few honeyrock melons last year they were quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back