First CEL on the SRT-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Oh yes, my wife's '06, which I drive all winter, still enables the MDS too, but takes longer to start functioning in those months than it does in the summer from what I recall. I don't remember it sounding any different though
21.gif
I run 0w-20 in it year round.

They've worked really hard on the factory exhaust systems to hide the MDS blart sound, and the "active" exhausts on the newer models are particularly good at providing a muscular rumble when you want it while still hiding the MDS sound when you're cruising. Before that, only the manual-trans Challengers (no MDS) really got a good-sounding exhaust system. But you can really hear it with aftermarket systems. It sounds like a 4-cylinder through a V8 exhaust... yeah, just as bad as you'd expect. :)

Is the sensor any different than the one they replaced? What kind of loaner car did they put you in? At least it was fixed quickly and under warranty with a loaner.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I don't think oil temp figures in on MDS operation. I had a 2012 RAM Hemi 5.7, it always went into MDS 2 blocks from my driveway, 0° or 90°. I even ran 5W30 oil(full syn & dino) in it.

Perhaps it is temp by proxy? It uses the pressure sensor.

Based on most SRT vehicles the programming is likely VERY different from any 5.7. The "limp mode" you experienced is an effort to save the engine from a possible mechanical complication related to improper engagement/disengagement of the MDS.

But the TSB should have been performed before the car was sold. Extremely minor issue not likely to recur.

I am amazed that anyone with a stock exhaust could hear the MDS. Our 14 RAM is completely transparent, if there wasn't a light to show you you would never know MDS was on or off.

Yet another reason I prefer my 6.1...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Is the sensor any different than the one they replaced? What kind of loaner car did they put you in? At least it was fixed quickly and under warranty with a loaner.

Yes. It looked a bit different and was a different part number.

I ended up in a new Grand Caravan off the lot, I was shooting for the HellCat that the owner said I could take, but he was out in it when I showed up and I was in a hurry, as I had a service call, so I took the van.

I ended up in a new Grand Caravan off the lot, I was shooting for the HellCat that the owner said I could take, but he was out in it when I showed up and I was in a hurry, as I had a service call, so I took the van.
The [censored] cat might have been worth the wait but then you may have never returned to the dealer.

Originally Posted By: CT8

The [censored] cat might have been worth the wait but then you may have never returned to the dealer.

LOL! Yeah, I'm pretty stricken by the car. It's a 2016 in white, VERY sharp. He said I can take it whenever I want, which I've been tempted to do. I was out in his black 2015 previously, which I posted pics of here IIRC.

Thinking about this, the engine has camshaft phasing. This would have been disabled/locked-out with that sensor fubar, because it uses oil pressure too. That would explain the power loss.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Yes, it seems to make sense. The engine protection scheme is rather elaborate these days!

The bimmer did the same thing. When one of the VCT sensors bleeped the bed the VANOS locked out at full retard, which made the engine completely gutless below like 3-3,500RPM. Then it came on like a light switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back