15" Wheels on Lots of New VW Cars in Showroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the Sportwagen in at the dealer this morning for the free 20,000 mile service. While I was waiting, I walked around the show room looking at the new cars. I was quite surprised to see two Jettas with 15"wheels. SO I went outside and looked at those and a great majority of those had the 15" wheels as well.

Is this a new trend or is oit part of VW's cost cutting? Some had Continentals and some had Hankook tires.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Cutting cost

Works for most buyers, as they are usually shopping on price alone when considering cars like the Jetta.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The 15s are cheaper and ride nicer. Everyone wins.

Everyone except the buyers who want it to look sporty and handle well.

Sounds good to me 15's worked great on my VW, and were something like $100 a set cheaper than the 16's on my Camry.

15 inchers are sensible for all the reasons mentioned above. I like the optional 17''s on my passat but it is a hassle having to put on winter tires and having to shop for two sets of tires. That said, I think 16s might be the sweet spot for a sedan.

The 19 inchers coming out on minivans are just ridiculous.

bigger heavier wheels cost more, rob power + gas mileage + the small sidewalls ride harder + are more prone to damage!!!! the oversized rubberband tyred craze got out of control. only advantage is a bit better handling only noticed if racing, illegal + expensive if not on a track!!

Were these mostly low-end Jettas?

The current U.S. Jetta is a decontented model aimed at a low price-point. They move lots of the base S models. I just checked the VW website and the Jetta S comes with15" wheels as standard equipment.

EDIT- looks like low-end Golfs also have 15" wheels.

That's the bummer about my Cruze Eco. I don't like 17" wheels. I wish it came with the 16" aluminum wheels found on lower trims. More tire options and better prices for the 16" size.

After owning cars with 18's and 19's it would be a joy to go shopping for new tires for a 15" rim.
Like was said here- its all great until you have to pay for them and I don't like taunt suspensions on daily drivers.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I prefer 15s or anything with 60-65 sidewall for a daily driver. I see too many new-ish cars with big rims riding on bold tires. I guess many people want that expensive look, but in reality can't afford it.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
15 inchers are sensible for all the reasons mentioned above. I like the optional 17''s on my passat but it is a hassle having to put on winter tires and having to shop for two sets of tires. That said, I think 16s might be the sweet spot for a sedan.

The 19 inchers coming out on minivans are just ridiculous.

I agree 16 might just be the best size all around, especially if you try to get by with M&S tires in the winter. I upgraded two Camrys with 14s to 15 inch wheels, one with 15x7s Borbet alloys. The car with 15x7s car handles far better than you might expect and there was room to upgrade to Lexis front calipers as well. My 08 V6 came with 16 and with 55 aspect ratio tires. If I get a set of alloys for it I'll stick with 16.

Got those 15" alloys on my 2004 VW and they are excellent. Anything bigger than 16" IMHO is asking for a bent rim from our frost heaved pothole prone pavement. If I only rode in San Diego, I could go sporty with a lower aspect ratio.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Everyone except the buyers who want it to look sporty and handle well.

I think this managed to tick both of those boxes pretty well with factory 15" wheels.

gallery-1445869036-roa110115dpt-bootcolin1.jpg

stephen9666 said, " I don't like 17" wheels. I wish it came with the 16" aluminum wheels found on lower trims. More tire options and better prices for the 16" size."

Why didn't you opt for a more standard wheel when you bought it? Any car dealer will take your sporty wheels and give you basic ones because it'll help them sell a basic car.

KiisZ said, "My mom's sportwagon has 15" rims and they look like wheelbarrow tires when parked by any other new car."
Honestly, who cares? It's an optical illusion because of the new style. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back