Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All accounts are hitting new highs with low interest rates and UE rate.
[/quote]
and low oil prices.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
2AM Monday 7-11, futures and global markets firmly positive. Looks like we might have a real chance at an all time high soon.

aka the crash is right around the corner.
crackmeup2.gif

Thats certainly possible. However, the global financial dynamics are much different than during the last crash. Banks are much better capitalized and overall leverage is markedly reduced. Domestic PE ratios are above the historical averages but are definitely not in bubble territory. International PE's are very reasonable, and QE (especially in Japan) is still being applied.

The investment firm that advises me does not anticipate a recession anytime soon, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
2AM Monday 7-11, futures and global markets firmly positive. Looks like we might have a real chance at an all time high soon.

crackmeup2.gif

It's almost a puzzle. I kind of expected to see the brixet dip to turn into a correction. What I'm wondering is, there are a lot of buyers like me, sitting on cash, looking forward to the correction. Given the current world situation, there are just not any place to stash cash, while waiting for some opportunity.

As always, YMMV

Not political, but markets will definitely pop later this year after election.

Low interest rates, low gas prices, low unemployment numbers, auto industry setting record sales, etc... is good news for the rest of the year.

I sold TE for a very nice gain, was overexposed in that one company and happy to take profits.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

crackmeup2.gif

It's almost a puzzle. I kind of expected to see the brixet dip to turn into a correction. What I'm wondering is, there are a lot of buyers like me, sitting on cash, looking forward to the correction. Given the current world situation, there are just not any place to stash cash, while waiting for some opportunity.

As always, YMMV

Actually, the current problem is liquidity in the markets. Been very well documented over the last few years.

Certain posters on here remind me of teenagers and their drinking parties, thinking their party is never going to stop...

Question - bond investments

As part of my traditional IRA I have funds invested in Vanguard funds that track short term corporate bonds and short term investment grade bonds. I have the same for intermediate term in both of those indexes. To round it out, I have Vanguard's Total Bond Market Index.

Bonds amount to about 15% of my portfolio.

I understand the relationship between interest rates and bond prices. And I certainly understand low yields.

But, in reading the WSJ over the past week or so, it seems a lot of investors are bailing out of bonds and into "defensive stocks."

Your thoughts on the current bond market?

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Question - bond investments

As part of my traditional IRA I have funds invested in Vanguard funds that track short term corporate bonds and short term investment grade bonds. I have the same for intermediate term in both of those indexes. To round it out, I have Vanguard's Total Bond Market Index.

Bonds amount to about 15% of my portfolio.

I understand the relationship between interest rates and bond prices. And I certainly understand low yields.

But, in reading the WSJ over the past week or so, it seems a lot of investors are bailing out of bonds and into "defensive stocks."

Your thoughts on the current bond market?

My personal take is that while people are bailing "into" defensive stocks, it's still just a search for return...and people are speculating a better third and fourth quarters that would benefit equities. If interest rates were rising consistently, then I wouldn't want to be in index bond funds because they're typically more heavily weighted in Treasuries and it would be a market where active management of those funds would likely be helpful. Since they're not, it changes that picture.

My elderly mom has a number of bond funds that emphasize corporate high-yield bonds that are held for income in perpetuity. You have to be OK with the idea that the income doesn't change although the capital value of the bonds do. If they're high quality junk bonds ( less of an oxymoron than it sounds ) and they don't cost much, I think that's the sweet spot "for the duration" versus continually acting on them by selling here and moving there...especially if it's a small part of the portfolio that serves as a step up from cash-equivalent. Mom also has a multi-sector bond fund that includes some foreign and emerging market bonds that's up a little over 8% YTD and still relatively conservative. That fund's earned 7x what her short-term bond fund has done YTD so there's a nice balance there...this year at least.

If you're asking if you think you should do something with this 15% of your portfolio that's bonds...I'd probably say no under the current climate unless you want to change your strategy and have something specific in mind. The high yield market in 2008 is a case in point for people who ( like the people who bailed out of stocks ) thought they could time the market and ended up losing more than if they'd just stayed put.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Looks like Oil may have topped. May buy SCO or DNO as it drops.

My SCO is kick'n....up 18.50%. Looks like money is flowing back into the defensive stocks.

On CNBC this AM, WTI is $41 and dropping. There is a glut of product in the market. If it falls below $40, we could see the beginnings of a dip in stocks. Looks like Warstud is right on the money.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Does anyone have any thoughts on CHH?

I would hold off on buying anything right now....a correction is near.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back