Suggest an experiment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. If anyone reads my posts you may have noticed I own shop and wrecker company. We tow a lot of cars. A lot. Every month around 50 cars become mine from tresspass towing and owners not picking them up.

Some are super nice and almost new. Some total junk. The good cars get fixed and sent to my used car lot...buy here pay here place.

At my tow yard I have about 200 ish cars that are junk ready to head to the U-Pull it yard. Some run but aren't worth fixing. Some run really well but are wrecked. Whatever.

Anyways this is my slow time of the year. Anyone have any expirments to suggest? Mad scientist stuff? I cut an old Caviler convertible in half with torches, attached a plastic gas tank to hood snd welded skids on the back. [censored] of a fun time sliding around. Another fun one was welding a set of seats about 6' straight up from the front frame, fab a new steering wheel and gas and brake pedal and attaching a front safety bar to keep from rolling the car end over end. Put on a seat belt, hit the gas and the the brake and the car would stand up at about a 50-60 degree angle. A redneck amusement ride.

So any crazy ideas? Torture engine tests? You dream it and if it's a junk car we can probably do it.

Last edited:
Could you put the engine and transmission in so that you have X speeds going backwards? Then turn the seats backwards so the car would be driven backwards. Kind of goofy. Ed Hayes

I'm sure it could be done but probably pretty hard to fab. We did a demolition derby in the yard once. Lots of waivers for my buddies and also some very strict rules. That was fun. Very low speeds. Very. I filled my car with used oil from waste oil storage and kept putting some in thr gas tank till I had a lot of the smoke. It ran fine for the time we used it. It started with a bad knock and had dropped a cylinder or two. I'm happy to report used motor oil worked just fine. Haha

Btw I got off topic in my own post. Sorry!! I was thinking more like suggest an oil and or filter experiment.

How about a low oil study like how long an engine will run on 1 quart of oil or a half a quart etc.

How about filling one up with as much oil as it will hold and run it a while and see what happens?

Originally Posted By: callbay
How about a low oil study like how long an engine will run on 1 quart of oil or a half a quart etc.

How about filling one up with as much oil as it will hold and run it a while and see what happens?

That would be good, then try a few with no oil. Or 50/50 mix of oil and coolant. The list can be endless.

Put some 5W-30 in a car that requires 5W-20 and see how long until it blows up. It'll be a quick one -- I bet you get results in less than 5 minutes.

I've wondered about cars that have been welded together because of an accident repair, front clip or rear welded to the original car and sold as salvage. My question: how do these cars perform in crash tests compared to the original model?

I'm not asking you to risk your life, but with some creative engineering you could have the car driven at high speed into solid barrier using remote controls. All for the benefit of science!

A crankcase full of Marvel Mystery Oil
grin.gif

Disconnect radiator and idle until it over-heats.
Run with no oil.
Drain the ATF.

Better yet, do a cooler line flush on a HM transmission.
laugh.gif

Drain all coolant, flush, then let air dry. Fill radiator with atf or motor oil. See if the heat transfer capability of oil is good enough to properly cool the engine.

Take 12 child molesters, 4 wife beaters and 6 hungry rats and pack 'em in an intact junk car like circus clowns then bury the car just deep enough to make the roof look like a colored spot on the ground. Leave it for a week than dig it up and see how things worked out.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Take 12 child molesters, 4 wife beaters and 6 hungry rats and pack 'em in an intact junk car like circus clowns then bury the car just deep enough to make the roof look like a colored spot on the ground. Leave it for a week than dig it up and see how things worked out.

Whoah!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Drain all coolant, flush, then let air dry. Fill radiator with atf or motor oil. See if the heat transfer capability of oil is good enough to properly cool the engine.

Like that one...it was one of my imaginary "dry sump" set ups when I was 19-20...tapping the Holden 6 oil pump discarge into the block, and a crank (snout) mounted pump from the water pump to the galleries.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
how long one would run on auto Trans fluid.

Might be a pretty long test.

How bout the 90wt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back