Check your car after it's been worked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am willing to bet that if the worker doesn't get the jobs done quick enough, he/she will be let go. So there is an incentive to rush thru the job leading to sloppy work.

This is the way of the world these days. Everyone wants to pay less (see the many posts on this site asking "Did I get charged too much"),leading to low wages and rushed jobs.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
The car is an 02 Chevy.

It's not like a Sunday-only driven Bentley

But I do agree, stuff like that cheeses me off too
coffee2.gif

It's not in 100% cherry condition, but it is in very good condition. It's a loaded model LTZ, every option. Was $40k+ new. Only 111k miles so it's still a spring chicken. Most of those miles are old-lady driven.

I got a similar response when I posted up that my car had been hit yet again in my parking lot.

Keeping Hondas/Chevys/Fords in nice condition just isn't worth it to some people here.

Just because a car is older and non-exotic doesn't give others a free pass to mistreat it. If I'm giving my car -- or anything for that matter -- to someone else, I expect to receive it back in the same condition. It's only common decency, which seems to be lacking in today's world.

Last edited:
To play devil's advocate, where were the owners of this vehicle at the time of pick up? I fully understand that the shop should have enough competence not to damage customer vehicles, but at the same time, the customer should take the initiative to take the 30 seconds out of their "busy" lives and examine the car's exterior. How difficult is it to walk around the car and check for any visible damage? And this is apparently a nice car that they want to keep that way.
It would not have prevented the damage, but would at least it make it easier to ascertain who damaged the hub and possibly get it fixed by them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
The car is an 02 Chevy.

It's not like a Sunday-only driven Bentley

But I do agree, stuff like that cheeses me off too
coffee2.gif

It's not in 100% cherry condition, but it is in very good condition. It's a loaded model LTZ, every option. Was $40k+ new. Only 111k miles so it's still a spring chicken. Most of those miles are old-lady driven.

I got a similar response when I posted up that my car had been hit yet again in my parking lot.

Keeping Hondas/Chevys/Fords in nice condition just isn't worth it to some people here.

Just because a car is older and non-exotic doesn't give others a free pass to mistreat it. If I'm giving my car -- or anything for that matter -- to someone else, I expect to receive it back in the same condition. It's only common decency, which seems to be lacking in today's world.

I agree very much with this post. People seem to think that if it is not theirs it is worthless.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
To play devil's advocate, where were the owners of this vehicle at the time of pick up? I fully understand that the shop should have enough competence not to damage customer vehicles, but at the same time, the customer should take the initiative to take the 30 seconds out of their "busy" lives and examine the car's exterior. How difficult is it to walk around the car and check for any visible damage? And this is apparently a nice car that they want to keep that way.
It would not have prevented the damage, but would at least it make it easier to ascertain who damaged the hub and possibly get it fixed by them.
They had the car parked in a parking spot when they were done, I glanced down and saw the aluminum wheel was on it and didn't look closely.

That's the point of this thread. Learn from your mistakes, and pay attention next time.

Sorry to see that.

Maybe keep the hubcap for the spare in the trunk. That way if another roadside repair guy changes the spare out the hubcap is spared.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Stuff like that really [censored] me off! Why are people in the service industry these days so sloppy and irresponsible?

well, part of it is people don't want to pay for it. The name of the place is discount tire.

Do you eat at a restaurant called "Discount feed store"?
Would you get dental service at "discount dentistry" or see a "discount doctor"?

Sorry, that answer doesn't cut it for me. I worked at a big-box retailer when I was between office jobs and I didn't use "I'm only getting $8/hour so who gives a [censored]" as an excuse to do poor work and won't accept that from anyone. If you don't like the pay, quit and see if you can find something better suited to your tastes.

[/rant]

SPOT ON opus1. reytseng's post is the most asinine thing I've ever read. The way Nick's grandfather's car was treated is unacceptable. If a corporation or any business can't do a professional job,no matter if their name is "discount" or "overpriced",then they need to close their doors. And I couldn't agree more opus,if someone doesn't feel they're being paid a fair wage,no one is chaining them down and forcing them to work there,they should do themselves a favor and quit.

I remember maybe as recently as the 1990's when you'd have a car worked on at ANY place,they'd get out a checklist that had a pictograph of a car on it and they'd note any damage that was on the car when you brought it in.

And it happened again today, to my brother this time. He took his truck into the Chevy dealer for an alignment. Dirty fingerprints all over inside and they broke an A/C vent. I guess it took some pushing but they're ordering a new vent.

The marks on the wheel look more like boot prints than hand prints.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

That was someone's reasoning on here - My Focus isn't worth keeping nice or *not* crashing into because I had ratty winter wheels on it.

And it happened again today, to my brother this time. He took his truck into the Chevy dealer for an alignment. Dirty fingerprints all over inside and they broke an A/C vent. I guess it took some pushing but they're ordering a new vent.

A few years back I brought my Cherokee to a tire chain across the street from work for an inspection. They ripped the trim panel off of the doorsill trying to find the OBDII port. I don't mean they unscrewed it, I mean they snapped it off. The OBDII port is right under the steering wheel, easily accessible.

I think that the problem is that a lot of techs just don't care. I have a friend who had his Buick in for service and the tech obviously dropped the engine cover on the shop floor and kicked it out of the way. When my friend complained the dealer acted like it was no big deal and insinuated that my friend was a bit loopy for even noticing the damage- much less caring about it.

Check your oil level if you don't change it yourself, check your lug nuts if someone touches your tires, check under the hood if work is performed to make sure bolts and stuff aren't loose. I do these things because I've had issues with ALL of them. It's always great when you go in for a "free" tire rotation and come back in a tow truck for new wheels, axles, brake rotors, etc. because they finger tightened the lug nuts and forgot to do the final torquing. And draining off 2 quarts extra of oil after an oil change at home instead of checking and having them do it. And finding bolts and nuts on top of your engine when you open the hood after repair work...

It's not rocket science. But I guess it is.

Once dealt with a Goodyear tire center. I had aluminum wheels with the center pieces which have the phoney lugnuts on it. The Einstein removing the tires thought they were real and sheared them off with his impact wrench. It took two wheels before the idiot realized they were plastic. Then they denied doing it!! Being a dumb liar is as bad as it gets.

GF went on vacation and her car battery dies. Calls AAA and they put in a new battery. When she gets back, I look at the new battery and notice that it's much smaller then the one removed. It was pretty obvious since there was a lot of extra room around the battery, and the battery tray as now too big. They took out a Group 65 that had 750 CCA and put on a much smaller 58C that has something like 540 CCA. This might have been OK if she had the 4 cylinder engine in her Edge, but she had the V6. So we called AAA and they told us to either call roadside assistance for a truck with a battery on it, or to go to the local AAA shop which also has batteries. Knowing that the actual physical location is more likely to have more batteries on hand, we drove there (on a Sunday afternoon, and it was open and actually pretty empty) and they took out the small battery and put in a new Group 65 that I wanted. It's my guess that the AAA driver that put in the too small battery probably didn't happen to have a group 65 in their truck and just put in whatever they happened to have, because they were too lazy to go and get the right battery. But at least the local AAA (in Glen Burnie, MD) made it right, and were very nice about it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Stuff like that really [censored] me off! Why are people in the service industry these days so sloppy and irresponsible?

You pay them at or near minimum wage, therefore indicating you really don't value their time. What do you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back